You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-28 13:44:46

wsduvall
Website

VirtualBox hangs when booting

Hey guys,

I'm trying to install Windows in a VM. It goes through some setup,then says Setup is Starting windows. I've run it from command line and there is no debug our anything. Any help would be appreciated. Im running Sun xVM VirtualBox. I'm trying to boot XP SP2. I'm using the GUI to install it. I use default XP settings, then I upped the RAM, still nothing. I'm using a 12GB dynamically sized virtual disk. I tried a fresh install and removed all the VirtualBox files. Still hangs at boot. I wonder if some update broke it...

I also tried to boot from a LiveCD image I have (BackTrack4 beta). The bootloader starts, it starts to load the kernel, and then just hangs. I'm pretty sure its an issue with VBox...

My 5 node 9 CPU cluster: www.amenrecluster.com
Machines:Fujitsu T4210 and IBM eServer xSeries 335

#2 2009-03-28 14:17:07

generic_

Re: VirtualBox hangs when booting

Did you actually install window on the Vbox and now it wont boot or you cant install it? If you cant install it it may be the disk or image file. Im confused at the live cd part what is hanging with the live cd BT4 or Vbox?

I'm just lost n00b!

#3 2009-03-28 14:26:28

wsduvall
Website

Sorry for the confusion... I had windows installed as a VM. A couple of days ago it would hang at boot, so I figured something was wrong with windows, so I tried to reinstall it. Now the windows installer hangs after it loads all the drives and says "Setup is starting Windows". So, then I tried booting a LiveCD image I had in the VM. When it tried to load the kernel, it just hung. It seems to me that there is an issue when it tries to load the kernel (both in windows and the livecd).

#4 2009-03-28 14:40:07

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Sounds like a vbox bug to me, did you update virtualbox before the problems started?
I'm having problems starting virtual machines in Arch64 with the the latest vbox but as I still use Arch32 every day it isn't a major concern as of yet for me. Try to downgrade virtualbox and see if that solves your problem.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#5 2009-03-28 14:53:27

wsduvall
Website

Do you know where I can find older packages? I dont see them here: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

#6 2009-03-28 15:54:03

generic_

the problem is definitely with Vbox problem here is the older builds. Bets of luck.
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds

I'm just lost n00b!

#7 2009-03-28 16:15:11

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Go to aur and search for virtualbox_bin and you should find this http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=9753 then download the tarball and extract it.
There is a file called PKGBUILD, to put it simply that is the instructions of how to build the package from the sources, but as that is for the latest version you should change a couple of things.
To test the latest previous version you will want to change pkgver to pkgver="2.1.2" and _build to _build="41885".
You can check http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/ and try to figure out why it needs to be that, I'm sure it will be useful to you in the future ^^.
Then issue a makepkg, it will download virtualbox from the virtualbox server and it will complain about the md5sum not checking out and thats normal (because the pkgbuild is for a different version), do md5sum downloaded_package and see the value it outputs and replace that on the md5sums lines of the PKGBUILD, then issue makepkg again and it should build just fine (it will not download the file again, just check it).
After it finishes do pacman -U package_you_have_just_built.pkg.tar.gz
Then test virtualbox again. I guess this is a quite dirty way to do this and probably someone will suggest a better way ^^; and you should read the wiki about aur and abs about building packages from source to understand better how to do it and what is going on. I guess that you will want to learn how to use abs and the aur, it is really handy smile
I hope this helps you more than it confuses you.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#8 2009-03-28 17:37:54

wsduvall
Website

I downgraded VBox and that wasn't the issue... I'm using a version that I have successfully used before. Any other thoughts?

Board footer