You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-28 20:40:08

kandrews

where to put xmodmap voodoo?

I'm trying to bind my right alt key to a Super_R and cannot find any useful documentation to speak of. Sure there are to tutorials for three years ago to fix up multimedia keyboards but nothing I can find for so trivial an intent. I found a post on the Ubuntu forums that purports to do what I want (http://wiki.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1035750). So I created my .Xmodmap file and restarted X and nothing changed. So I tried giving it executable permissions like .Xdefaults and restarted X again. No change.

I ran the xmodmap -e command with the contents of that thread and I got the key to display the info through xev that I want, but I am not sure where to store it where it will actually be executed. If not .Xmodmap, then where should I put it? Thanks.

P.S. Is there any centralized source for documentation for using xmodmap filled with simple examples? I really want to get a wiki article up on this, but I have no idea how it works. I have skimmed a bunch of tutorials that I found through google but all them specialized in areas that didn't do me a bit of good.

#2 2009-03-28 20:44:06

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: where to put xmodmap voodoo?

I believe that putting something like this in ~/.xinitrc will do it:

xmodmap ''~/.Xmodmap''

#3 2009-03-28 20:54:28

kandrews

Thanks for the reply skottish, but unfortunately that didn't work. I tried it that way and then with the -e like I was doing in a terminal in X, but neither way worked. This is a really installation of archlinux so maybe I have not configured something that lets me do that yet?

EDIT: err, X says "xmodmap:  unable to open file '~/.Xmodmap' for reading"

Its permissions are: -rwx-r-xr-x 1 kcandrew users.

Here are the contents of .xinitrc:

#!/bin/sh
xmodmap "~/.Xmodmap"
until wmii; do
    true
done

Last edited by kandrews (2009-03-28 21:03:04)

#4 2009-03-28 21:32:28

userlander

try it without the quotes. wink

#5 2009-03-28 22:18:25

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

The quote prevents the tilde from expanding, so like userlander said, leave it out. It won't work.

Try

ls ~

and compare with

ls "~"

@ Skottish: Tsss.... Giving people bad advice tongue.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer