You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-28 21:15:30

mooreted

Fdisk, Qtparted - System Wont Boot

I had and external USB  hard drive. I just wanted to delete the partition, create a new partition and format it.

I ran QTparted and that screwed up the whole thing. I've never had QTparted work properly; never using it again.

Ran fdisk: deleted the partition, created an ext3 partition then used mk2fs /dev/sdc1.

Rebooted my system and now all I see is:

grub>

How on earth did deleting a partition on a USB drive mess with grub?

I am hoping I can fix it using the Arch CD.

#2 2009-03-29 07:00:01

MoonSwan

Re: Fdisk, Qtparted - System Wont Boot

The bios may see that drive as being on a different part of the hardware chain than the OS does.  IE arch might say the drive is sda, but the bios may see it as sdb or something else.  You may want to search the forum for that issue & how people resolved it.

#3 2009-03-29 14:21:18

mooreted

MoonSwan wrote:

The bios may see that drive as being on a different part of the hardware chain than the OS does.  IE arch might say the drive is sda, but the bios may see it as sdb or something else.  You may want to search the forum for that issue & how people resolved it.

I would, but I couldn't think of what to search for. Seems so strange that formatting a thumbdrive or USB hard drive would mess with Grub.

Thanks.

#4 2009-03-30 01:10:33

Ranguvar

Although it's had a bit of a revival, so others know, it is indeed not wise to use QTParted, at least until it's had a lot of work done. It was left alone for a very long time, while GParted and parted were worked on. It unfortunately is not a case of a common backend doing 95% of the work in QT/G-Parted.

#5 2009-03-30 02:03:10

MoonSwan

I'll do a search in a while and see if I can find this problem for you.  If you find something in the meantime do post back & let us know.

@Ranguvar, agreed that thing is a real pita and wound up messing my own partitions so badly that gParted said they were unfixable.  I was so pissed.  yikesmad

Last edited by MoonSwan (2009-03-30 02:03:40)

#6 2009-03-30 02:52:43

mooreted

Seems like every search with the word "grub" in it returns hundreds of hits, none of which match the problem. I even searched the site with Google site search.

Haven't found anything yet.

Thanks for trying. smile

#7 2009-03-30 02:55:00

mooreted

Ranguvar wrote:

Although it's had a bit of a revival, so others know, it is indeed not wise to use QTParted, at least until it's had a lot of work done. It was left alone for a very long time, while GParted and parted were worked on. It unfortunately is not a case of a common backend doing 95% of the work in QT/G-Parted.

Seems like fdisk and mke2fs might be the way to go. Sometimes the old ways are still best.

I'll give Gparted a chance some time; I have heard it's pretty good.

I can probably fix Grub without too much trouble.

Board footer