You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-28 21:37:00

Vincent91

X apparently not using xorg.conf's keyboard settings

Hello everyone,

I have recently installed Archlinux on my Dell XPS laptop which previously ran only Ubuntu. I want to keep it all lightweight and so I have not installed any heavy desktop environment, I use Slim for login and Fluxbox as my window manager.

When installing Arch, I was annoyed that my preferred keyboard layout, Canada Multilingual second part, was not available. I used the Canadian French layout temporarily. Atfer Xorg was installed, I quickly checked /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.lst for ca multi-2gr and found it, so I set my xorg.conf to look like this:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "ca"
    Option "XkbVariant" "multi-2gr"
    Option "XkbOptions" "compose:lwin"
EndSection

However, when Xorg is running, my keyboard always takes the default US keyboard layout and I can't seem to change it. It is just as if X did not read xorg.conf at all. Any clue as to what may be causing this?

Thanks in advance for your help

#2 2009-03-28 21:57:28

thunderogg

Re: X apparently not using xorg.conf's keyboard settings

Have you checked out the wiki, specially this part? : http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … server_1.5

#3 2009-03-28 22:21:54

Vincent91

Well now I do look stupid. I had read that wiki page more than once and reread the Keyboard part more than once, but everytime I looked at that title about hotplugging and thought "Meh, that doesn't concern me".

Thanks a lot

Edit: I'll just have to play around with it a little now, the keyboard doesn't work at all now >.>

Last edited by Vincent91 (2009-03-28 22:28:20)

#4 2009-03-28 22:30:26

thunderogg

That happens. smile

#5 2009-03-29 02:25:33

frp

If it's still not working, you might wanna give a look here http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=68611

man pages on the web
"And note that you shall not expect from ArchLinux to support gadgets for any of your needs, but it will give you the power to tweak your system to achieve exactly what you need." - Cilyan

Board footer