You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-29 05:51:54

valunthar

A few setup issues

I recently installed Arch linux and I'm happy to say that I've mostly gotten everything running the way that I want it. Unfortunately there are a few problems that I've been unable to resolve. I'm running an Asus M6Ne with a 64 meg Radeon 9700M video card with the latest arch install on a Gnome Desktop.

1) The Emerald Window Manager in Compiz Fusion refuses to load: Everything seemed to install properly and there is no error message reported it just doesn't work whenever I enable compiz fusion through fusion-icon. Which leaves a rather interesting effect of windows not having borders/titles when the compiz window manager is enabled.

2) Gnome-display-manager sometimes refuses to load: once in a while gnome-display manager refuses to load. It may be related to the fact that I tried installing the Ubuntu Human theme and some other themes from AUR. But the themes from AUR don't appear in the appearance panel anyway so I'm not sure if they're the cause.

3) My vmware virtual machines don't load properly: Whenever I try and run my XP Vmware image I get the error message "Failed to initialize monitor device". I did have some trouble with mkvmdev when I rebooted the system attempting to fix the problem. The Startup log essentially stated that I needed to rerun vmware-config.pl. Although rerunning that script has not solved the issue.

4) My samba shares refuse to mount on boot: I've tried a number of different ways to get some samba shares automatically mounted on boot. The solution that has had the most success so far is putting the shares into fstab and loading it from there. However, on boot the system complains that the network is unavailable despite netfs being placed after all of the networking components are loaded in /etc/rc.conf. Strange thing is that these same shares mount just fine once the system is up and running and I run mount -a.

5) Sound doesn't work properly: after running into some issues playing some things with ALSA I decided to try installing pulse audio. It worked well up until a reboot after which mplayer would complain about not being able to find something along the lines of pulse_audio_control (I don't remember the exact error message). Trying to get to the source of the problem I opened sound settings in preferences only to find all of the options blank. This problem persisted for a few reboots until somehow the settings finally remained at what I set them at. However the system still refuses to play sound properly. Currently only mplayer and the startup sounds that I have enabled work. Not even the test button in sound settings works properly. In an attempt to fix this problem I've switched all of the sound settings back to ALSA but the problem persists.

I've checked the relevent Wiki articles and the forums for hints on how to solve these problems but I've had no luck so far as the relevent info does not seem to be there or the solutions don't seem to correct my situation. Any help would be much appreciated.

#2 2009-03-31 01:32:04

valunthar

Re: A few setup issues

I'd like to report success in getting my samba shares working properly. The cause was a module that was set to load in the background in rc.conf, changing it to normal mode solved the issue. Also, the problem with Gnome-display-manager seems to have disappeared. However I still have not had any luck with Compiz Fusion, and my Vmware virtual machine.

I have made progress with my sound drivers, it seems that my system is trying to use ALSA when I've set the system to use Pulseaudio. I have not had any luck no matter what I change in the sound settings.

Board footer