You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-29 09:49:37

D-Locked

[Solved] Missing .la file from an /extra dep. for my AUR pkg.

Greetings.

First, let me elucidate the above title. I am maintaining the gcu (Gnome-chemistry-utils) package in AUR, and the new version (0.10.4) requires /usr/lib/libgoffice-0.6.la in order to be built. In theory, this file would be provided by extra/goffice-0.6.5-2, but its PKGBUILD includes the line 'options=(!libtool)' which according to the ArchWiki means that the *.la files are not built.

I have thought of a few possibilities so far :
* Send an email to goffice's maintainer, asking if it's possible to change the PKGBUILD to include the *.la files.
* Make a different goffice package in AUR that includes the *.la files, and use it as a dependency for my package.
* In the gcu PKGBUILD's build section, temporarily compile a new goffice and use its /usr/lib/libgoffice-0.6.la (how exactly I would do that, I am unsure + it's not very elegant).

I am unsure which solution would adhere best to the "Arch way". As such, I am open to suggestions.

Note : Gcu's main developper told me that /usr/lib/libgoffice-0.6.la is only required to build the file, and isn't needed for the installation.

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Last edited by D-Locked (2009-04-25 21:16:39)

#2 2009-03-30 03:37:13

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved] Missing .la file from an /extra dep. for my AUR pkg.

Check gcu's depends, especially the ones in AUR. They might have libtool files. If so, try rebuilding them with options=(!libtool)

#3 2009-03-30 08:11:29

D-Locked

Merely building the file is not my concern. I have already built gcu's latest version by recompiling extra/goffice (modified its PKGBUILD from options=(!libtool) to options=(libtool)).

My concern is about updating gcu's AUR PKGBUILD so that others can benefit from it.

#4 2009-03-30 09:23:13

tomk
Forum Fellow

You could post a feature request in the bugtracker asking for goffice's libtool files to be reinstated - this would replace your first option above. I wouldn't recommend your second or third options, but I'd suggest a fourth - ask the gcu maintainer why he needs the libtool files now, when he didn't for earlier versions. Maybe he can reverse that particular change.

#5 2009-03-30 14:18:36

D-Locked

tomk wrote:

You could post a feature request in the bugtracker asking for goffice's libtool files to be reinstated - this would replace your first option above. I wouldn't recommend your second or third options, but I'd suggest a fourth - ask the gcu maintainer why he needs the libtool files now, when he didn't for earlier versions. Maybe he can reverse that particular change.

Thanks.

I already have asked gcu's developper. It would seem he needed the libtool file to close a bug, but he also told me that for a future version of libgoffice (0.8.x) and gcu (0.11.x) the libtool file won't be needed.

#6 2009-04-25 21:21:10

D-Locked

It turns out the solution is very simple. I updated gcu's own PKGBUILD with options=(!libtool). I should've given Snowman's reply more thought...

The package builds just fine now.

Last edited by D-Locked (2009-04-25 21:23:54)

Board footer