You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-29 17:34:32

FeatherMonkey

Boot process and init a little clarity.

Ok I've got a compiz-fusion, cairo-dock, emerald set up, no login manager, or session manager.

So now as I've got this lot solved sometimes I want to run it with low resources, so what I've done is using inittab and a new user I've made the xinitrc use evilwm.

Now ideally I would like to find another way as this is hackish, now I didn't really try too hard at using xinitrc, though I did try a little when I was playing with x display and tty8.

So my understanding is the arch system isn't using the traditional runlevels etc, now from reading the bits at the wiki http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The … ot_process

I'm led to believe if I don't want hackish this would involve something similar to /etc/rc.multi so that inittab could use this to reach the required runlevel. Or I suppose is it possible to use an if runlevel in /etc/rc.multi (Advice recommended way)?

I sort of know what to do but not where best is? I see it that if using inittab which I guess is the cleanest. But does that mean an if runlevel or should I use a separate rc.mine also if I wanted to limit the daemons am I right in where rc.multi . /et/rc.conf this would be as simple as rc.conf.mine?

Then perhaps is it just easier to use an if runlevel in my users xinitrc, can I?

Reading this back think I've confused myself, so
I just want to run evilwm and less daemons in init 3
and the normal one in init 5 so what is the recommended way?

#2 2009-03-29 18:23:26

u_no_hu

Re: Boot process and init a little clarity.

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#3 2009-03-29 21:29:44

FeatherMonkey

Thank you don't know how I missed it.

#4 2009-04-03 10:11:00

FeatherMonkey

Mmm well now having that work, hasn't really solved my problem. Is there away to get init 3 to run another .xinitrc or have an if runlevel in it?

I use this at the moment in inittab which is another user, but the login managers seem to be able to handle other de's. I'm just unsure what/where I would change, can anyone point me to docs or give me a hint i.e is it a script called from xinitrc with an if runlevel?

y:3:once:/bin/su user -l -c "/bin/bash --login -c startx >/dev/null 2>&1"

Now this does work but leaves 2 problems one in changing from init 3 - 5 evilwm is still running. The other ideally I don't want to use 2 accounts as settings, apps, and permissions aren't ideal.

#5 2009-04-03 12:38:14

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Unlike the System V init system Arch uses a BSD init system - one that does not differentiate between runlevels. Without some severe hacking (and, imho, messing up the beauty of the BSD init system) you cannot get what you want.

A dirty - but probably working - solution would be to specify scripts instead of login managers in /etc/inittab and have those call the services you want running in the specific runlevel (but I don't know whether that will shut them down upon exiting the runlevel).

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#6 2009-04-03 14:44:52

FeatherMonkey

Thanks B

Well I seem to be shutting down going init 5 => init 3
But going the other way I keep getting left with evilwm, small thing really, tbh didn't understand any of this to start with.

Think I'll have to have a brief look at how the login managers like slim are managing it, its just I left my comfort zone getting to this point.

Not really fussed about using init if there is another way. It was just my crude way of getting a light desktop when needed. May go about it by modifying my xintrc and call something last I need in both de like terminal(Mm maybe not, that gets clicked closed to often). Then use a function to drop the services I don't need and replace the de.

Just tweaking really and learning, and seemed pointless to just have a login manager to handle switching de's

Last edited by FeatherMonkey (2009-04-03 14:46:45)

Board footer