You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-30 05:29:50

OrionFyre

incrontab trouble

This post can pretty much be ignored as it was an I-d10-T error....
check out post two though.

Ok. So. I started along this route as I wanted pidgin to display the contents of a text file as my status. Easy enough right? PSHAH. The text file is ~/.purple/status I am going to have various tidbits going here. In fact everything is already sending their status snippets here. I just need pidgin to use that. Unfortunately it looks like I'm the only one in existence who wants a "set status by text file" option.

purple-remote "setstatus?status=available&message=`cat ~/.purple/status`"

Easy enough. Now I want that command ran everytime the file is modified. Along comes incron.

incrontab -e
it brings up the editor (nano in my case) and I add in

~/.purple/status IN_MODIFY purple-remote "setstatus?status=available&message=`cat ~/.purple/status`"

I ctrl+x, save it and then:

[orionfyre@orion-laptop ~]$ incrontab -l
no table for orionfyre
[orionfyre@orion-laptop ~]$

what am I so obviously doing wrong that I can't see?

Last edited by OrionFyre (2009-03-30 07:25:47)

#2 2009-03-30 06:20:29

OrionFyre

Re: incrontab trouble

Well that's just embarrasing wink

config file typo to a nonexistant directory.

However, even though the table exists, i'm having problems with the commands not working right.

if I have this in my table

/home/orionfyre/.purple/status.songbird IN_MODIFY touch /tmp/working

then when i say for example click on "next" in my media player which writes the song title to the status file... the file /tmp/working is created as one would expect. YAY!

However

/home/orionfyre/.purple/status.songbird IN_MODIFY purple-remote "setstatus?status=available&message=`cat ~/.purple/status.songbird`"

does not work

Board footer