You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-30 13:32:46

LeoSolaris

PS2 Emulation

I suddenly had the inspiration to try out emulating my PS2 on my laptop as a way to avoid doing some homework. Writer's block sucks.

Anyways, I was nosing around, and discovered pcsx2-svn...   I'm lost.

Is there a good tutorial out there? Do I actually need to open my PS2 to mod it so I can get the BIOS? I do own a PS2, and I could do that, but I was hoping for a solution that wouldn't require an investment of money (Which I am short on at the moment.)

I may have to abandon the project if I have to mod my PS2, as I am not all that handy at soldering, and I am not too keen on bricking my only gaming console. (Risk/reward is not high enough on the reward side, and too high on the risk side if I have to handle a soldering tool. Most of the risk would be burning the house down. PS 2's are trivial compared to sleeping out in the cold.)

I keep getting distracted from my webserver project...

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#2 2009-03-30 15:18:34

tjwoosta

Re: PS2 Emulation

well first off, if you already have a ps2 console your much better off just using it as compared to the emulator

ps2 emulators are far from being complete   (even if you get the ps2 emulator for windows it still sucks hardcore)

im talking like there are probably about 2 or 3 games total that can even be played at all, and even those games are laggy and glitchy on a high end system

as for the bios thing, no you dont need to even touch your ps2  (the bios is just software, almost like the bios in compuuters)

the reason the bios dont come with the emulator in the first place is because of copywright laws or something   (its illegal)

there are however some shady ways of aquireing theese bios, as with almost anything else thats copywrighted  (hint, hint)

im just not sure if i can say where without getting myself into trouble

but either way, if you already own a ps2 your much better off using it then the emulator

anyways if your interested in console emulation you should take a look at theese other emulators

psx emulator   http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/ 
(exactly what it sounds like, playstation 1 emulator , its my favorite playstation emulator because it comes with all of the plugins and everything you need, plus it has i think the greatest selection of compatible games of any playstation emulator)

mupen64plus   http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/
(obviously an n64 emulator, it has a very good selction of compatable roms)

gens   http://gens.consolemul.com/
(sega genesis emulator)

snes9x   http://www.snes9x.com/ or zsnes   http://www.snes9x.com/
(both really good super nintendo emulators)

#3 2009-03-30 23:13:22

moljac024

Except that both of your links are for snes9x

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#4 2009-03-31 05:01:27

sand_man

I used to be able to play Final Fantasy X with pcsx2 on Windows and that was with my old computer. Haven't tried with my current setup (don't have Windows installed anyway) but I might try this if a 64-bit install is possible. If it's only svn I doubt it though...

neutral

#5 2009-03-31 15:33:26

tjwoosta

moljac024 wrote:

Except that both of your links are for snes9x

haha

o yea...

i must have pressed ctrl-c to copy the link and it didnt work

http://www.zsnes.com/

#6 2009-04-01 13:27:25

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

You can find a torrent of BIOS files on tpb, no need to crack your case.

#7 2009-04-01 15:16:42

Themaister
Website

Well. The PCSX2 project is mostly targeted towards Windows, and is getting along really well as we speak (the GSdx graphics plugin is awesome! Too bad it is DirectX ...) The Linux port however, is a bit uncertain. The graphics plugin, ZeroGS OpenGL is a pretty old and outdated plugin. After the merging of Playground and standard PCSX2, Linux support has suffered a blow (it won't compile on x64, even stated in the compiling output tongue).

Don't expect awesome results with the Linux port, it is in the shadows compared to the main Windows build. They are working with it however, and hopefully will we see some great improvement if ZeroGS will further develop his OpenGL-plugin (or others!). As for the BIOS, you don't have to solder to get your bios. A SwapMagic bootdisk is more than enough (cost me 250 NOK = ~35 USD a year or two ago). However, to do it the easy way, a torrent is never far away.

im talking like there are probably about 2 or 3 games total that can even be played at all, and even those games are laggy and glitchy on a high end system

No, that was the truth a year or two ago maybe. Believing emuforums, a quite impressive number of games is possible to play pretty much flawlessly from start to end in Windows, with a pretty beefy (overclocked!) system. With the Linux port, maybe so.

Last edited by Themaister (2009-04-01 15:20:21)

#8 2009-04-01 17:49:55

tjwoosta

No, that was the truth a year or two ago maybe. Believing emuforums, a quite impressive number of games is possible to play pretty much flawlessly from start to end in Windows, with a pretty beefy (overclocked!) system. With the Linux port, maybe so.

really?

i guess i stand corrected

it was about 6 or 7 months ago when i tried

#9 2009-04-03 13:19:32

LeoSolaris

Thanks guys!   I keep forgetting about bittorrent technology. It's not like I haven't paid enough to Sony for my PS2.

Anyways, I'm using Arch64 and the version in the AUR compiled nicely. There are glitches, but it runs. I will have to tinker with it this weekend a little more. (I finally got some inspiration for my paper, just in time. I work better with a looming deadline.)

I will have to check out the other emulators, I sorta miss the original Zelda. Where or how do you get roms for the emulators that do not use cds? turn to the BT's?

Thanks again, y'all.

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#10 2009-04-03 16:30:30

tjwoosta

i use rom-gods

or sometimes romscentral

but you should have no probem finding them via torrent

Last edited by tjwoosta (2009-04-03 16:32:45)

#11 2009-04-03 17:46:08

LeoSolaris

cool   thank ya, I will have to look them up.

huh? oooh...  shiny!

Board footer