You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-31 10:32:04

paolo83

ATI hd4830 and open driver, can you help me?

HI friends! I have an ati hd4830 (chip rv770LE) and I used the catalyst driver. But now arch has decided to remove catalyst from repository because it's closed and not compatible with the new xorg (1.6). Then I would like to install the open driver but I have two different problems with xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-radeonhd

1)xf86-video-ati: with this driver xorg starts-up and works correctly but in xorg.0.log I get these errors:

(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed to open the DRM

and then:

(EE) RADEON(0): Acceleration initialization failed

2)xf86-video-radeonhd: xorg doesn't start. With this driver in xorg.0.log there are a lot of good messages (for example: aiglx starts, ecc ecc) but I have this error "NO DEVICE FOUND" Why? What I can do? With this driver in xorg.0.log I have good messages that the previous driver doesn't give me!

xf86-video-radeonhd doesn't work on my system (If you know a trick...I will be in debt with you!) and xf86-video-ati works without acceleration...
More over, I'm afraid that with xf86-video-ati, powerplay doesn't start: if this is true, my vga will be everytime in full speed, consuming more of energy and producing more of heat... Is there a command to verify the speed of gpu with this driver?
Thank you!
Paolo

Last edited by paolo83 (2009-03-31 21:26:35)

#2 2009-03-31 10:36:01

paolo83

Re: ATI hd4830 and open driver, can you help me?

I post my xorg.conf. When I try the radeonhd, I change in the device section the driver from "radeon" to "radeonhd"

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Xorg Configured"
    Screen      0  "paolo-config" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "PS/2 Mouse" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load  "glx"
     Load  "dri"
    Load  "drm"

EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option        "AllowMouseOpenFail" "true"
    Option        "AutoAddDevices" "False"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "keyboard"
    Option        "CoreKeyboard"
    Option        "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option        "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout" "it"
    Option        "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "PS/2 Mouse"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "auto"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option        "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    Option        "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
    Option        "SendCoreEvents" "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "USB Mouse"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option        "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option        "Buttons" "5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "samsung19"
    Option        "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "atihd4830"
    Driver      "radeon"
    Option        "DRI" "on"
    Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
    Option "ColorTiling" "on"
    Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"

EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "paolo-config"
    Device     "atihd4830"
    Monitor    "samsung19"
    DefaultDepth     24
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode         0666
EndSection

#3 2009-04-01 13:19:01

paolo83

can anybody help me?

#4 2009-04-02 21:14:58

sadklown

hey brother, i have recently spent much time with just this myself.  The current version of radeonhd does not support acceleration for the 4800 series, so the first thing I would try is to comment out the
Option "AccelMethod" "EXA" for that driver by putting a # in front of it.

Which version of the radeon driver are you using? The radeon can support both EXA and Xv but you need to compile a new drm module from the r600-r700 experimental branch if you are using xf86-video-ati version 6.12 from the testing repo.  There is also a PKGBUILD in AUR by the name drm-radeon-module-git-r6xx-r7xx 20090329-1 that will compile and install this module for you.  If you use yaourt it will make it very easy.  Hope this helps if you need any more help I will be here.

#5 2009-04-02 22:00:58

paolo83

thank you very much! Do you think that the best solution is to install xf86-video-ati from testing repo and new drm module from the r600-r700 experimental branch?
I have a question: if I do so, when the drm module is in the repository, to update it, will be a simple pacman -Syu sufficient? Or firstly I have to remove the old version that I have installed from aur?

I'm sorry but I don't know what is the difference between EXA and XV. What is the best solution?

EDIT: I have made as you have done me. Now the errors have changed. I have this:

(EE) AIGLX error: Calling driver entry point failed(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

But the next line is this:

(II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/swrast_dri.so

What can I do? I have installed the drm module r600-r700 experimental branch and the xf86-video-ati from repo testing and then xf86driproto

Last edited by paolo83 (2009-04-03 11:06:53)

#6 2009-04-03 12:15:29

app4des

If you install the latest xorg/xserver from testing your card will work with either xf86-video-ati or xf86-video-radeonhd. Afaik the testing xorg right now includes the new drm mesa and recent enough driver to have basic 2d (exa) acceleration on r6xx and r7xx cards.

You may need to add
Option "DRI" "on"  to your xorg.conf to enable acceleration.

If you want to have latest drivers from git, there are some AUR packages that automatically compile and install everything you need (drm and ati driver) in case you don't want to use the testing repo.

#7 2009-04-03 14:36:42

vacant

paolo83 wrote:

thank you very much! Do you think that the best solution is to install xf86-video-ati from testing repo and new drm module from the r600-r700 experimental branch?

That's the best solution I found for my laptop with a lowly HD3200 chip. I deleted the 2.6.29 kernel radeon.ko and drm.ko modules as my desktop was unusable and videos couldn't scale.

I play HD video via vga on my HD TV (1280x768) and in the past didn't bother turning off the laptop display. With the current setup (ati from testing, drm from aur replacing 2.6.29 modules) I found video tearing on the 42 inch TV. Solution was to plug in the TV once "X" was started then run kde settings->display to (a) turn on the external display then "accept" (b) turn off the laptop display then "accept". If I tried to turn on the external and turn off the laptop then "accept", both screens went blank sad

#8 2009-04-03 16:07:23

paolo83

I have read your messages but I don't have solved my problem. If I use the testing repo drivers and xorg, I get the errors that I wrote in the first message of this discussion. If i try the drm module from aur, I get the aiglx error which I wrote before... What Can I do? As regards as my  threat of not working of powerplay with the open drivers, what do you think about? Thank you

#9 2009-04-04 23:25:00

paolo83

I have not resolved my problem and I think that there isn't anything to do. At the end I'm using from testing repo only xf86-video-ati and xorg, getting the error that I wrote in the first post of this topic. I don't know what I have to do. I didn't use aur. I hope that somebody will be able to help me but I think that I will have to wait a new driver or libdri. Please, can you tell me if with this opendrive the powerplay of my vga works correctly? Is there a command to verify the frequence of the vga? With the closedriver I used aticonfig --lsp. I'm afraid to consume a lot of electric energy because this vga at the full speed "drinks" more of 100 watts

Last edited by paolo83 (2009-04-04 23:30:27)

#10 2009-04-07 17:23:26

paolo83

I'm using catalyst from aur. The open driver doesn't work with my vga

Board footer