You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-31 12:03:07

whoops

Right place for everything (arch + debian, linux directories)

Hi!

Planning a new setup with arch, arch/testing & debian/unstable, i noticed I still don't really know where things belong... the keywords that come to my mind are to general to ask google, so if someone could send me to a page where basic linux directories and what belongs inside are mentioned, that would be appreciated.

P.E.: Where does media belong, that is of no "private nature" but not without restrictions either? Like music I bought online - it's not open, it's not free, but it should be able to be accessed no matter if I login as user "work", "private" or "guest" (or shouldn't it?). So... /opt does not seem the right place, /usr/share - i don't know. Maybe root should be the owner of the folder that's 577 and group "users" or something?

What's the right place for single shared configuration files in /etc? Do I put them on an extra partition /mnt/shared_etc and hardlink them into /etc of each installation or what would be the standard-place for something like this? Are there special ARCH DIRECTORIES or Files I really shouldn't "share" with another Arch Install on the same PC or another Distro?

This all might be a little bit fuzzy, but I'm trying to get a feeling of where someone would look for "stuff" and/or put "stuff" so it can be easily located (p.e. so I will automatically end up looking into the right direction if I ever forget where I put something).

thx!

Last edited by whoops (2009-03-31 12:04:47)

#2 2009-03-31 12:17:34

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Right place for everything (arch + debian, linux directories)

I wouldn't go sharing /etc  - you may have different versions of the software on each system.

Why not something
/ - Arch
/ - Debian

(separate home partitions - configuration files might conflict)
/home - Arch
/home - Debian

/home/share which is mounted on both

Or some variation....

Board footer