You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-02 09:26:50

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

[INACTIVE]I need some testers (powerpill, reflector, pkgd).

--EDIT--
The testing repo is currently empty.

I need some testers for the refactored versions of powerpill, reflector and pkgd. I've put up a temporary testing repo:

[xyne-any-testing]
Server = http://xyne.archlinux.ca/repos/any-testing

There's no info about it on the site. Here's a quick summary:

all three have man pages with (hopefully) useful info (yep, man pages... finally)
some options have changed a bit... some maybe more
you need to delete your old powerpill configuration files (syntax has changed)
powerpill now has a central config at /etc/powerpill.conf (with lots of comments)
powerpill now has built-in reflector support
powerpill now has pkgd support
this pkgd is not compatible with older versions (I've changed the pkgd client-server protocol)... this goes for the pkgd support in powerpill too, so don't mix and match

Read through the comments in /etc/powerpill.conf to get an idea of what things do.

The version numbers of the testing packages will probably get changed a bit and then reverted when I move them into the normal repo.

Feel free to post opinions about how you would like to see everything packaged (each perl module in a separate package, a single "perl-xyne" package for all of my modules with separate packages for the executables in /usr/bin, a single jumbo "xyne pak", etc).

Please post feedback, questions, rants, etc about the testing packages in this thread.

I'll flesh out the man pages and other documentation later.. right now I don't want to look at the code for a while.

Last edited by Xyne (2009-05-04 23:27:06)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#2 2009-04-02 10:23:44

Shunpike

Re: [INACTIVE]I need some testers (powerpill, reflector, pkgd).

I'll try powerpill & reflector when I'll get home tonight. Never used pkgd.

I think you should have a separate package for every app. Could be cool to have a "xynelib" package which would be pulled as a dependency.
What about defining a xyne group in the pkgbuilds to pull all the packages at once ? I don't know really know how groups are handled, but IMO that would be better than having a single package for all your apps.

Last edited by Shunpike (2009-04-02 10:24:29)

#3 2009-04-02 10:33:43

3nd3r
Website

Shunpike wrote:

I'll try powerpill & reflector when I'll get home tonight. Never used pkgd.

I think you should have a separate package for every app. Could be cool to have a "xynelib" package which would be pulled as a dependency.
What about defining a xyne group in the pkgbuilds to pull all the packages at once ? I don't know really know how groups are handled, but IMO that would be better than having a single package for all your apps.

i second that notion smile

#4 2009-04-02 23:12:48

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I just tried powerpill on a second computer and realized that I hadn't added the "perl-libwww" package to the dependencies array, so you'll have to install it manually if you test this before I get a chance to update the packages (I don't have access to my other computer right now).

I don't like the idea of a single package either but someone else suggested it in another thread so I thought it was worth mentioning. I actually don't even like having to deal with the perl modules because it overly complicates what was previously very simple, but from a coding perspective it's much cleaner now imo.

A group wouldn't be too difficult to do as it's just an extra line in the PKGBUILD. The only thing that I don't like is setting up powerpill to pull in 3 or 4 packages as dependencies, even if those packages are only a few kB... it just makes it seem "heavier" than it really is, but in the end that's probably the best way to do it.

#5 2009-04-02 23:17:18

Shunpike

Edit : Cleaned-up my post to reflect tests / updates by Xyne

Reflector
* Reflector is broken when using the --rank option : "sudo reflector -h 24 -t 25 -o ~/test" worked as expected, the list was saved to the file. "sudo reflector --rank -h 24 -t 25 -o ~/test" : output went to stdout, and ~/test was empty. Reflector removed all the previous content, but did not write anything back. ~/test was left write-protected.

* By the way, it is kinda confusing with Reflector that the "-h" option isn't used for help. I know it's not a standard and harmless in that case, but still.

Powerpill
* It is unclear which Powerpill options have default values and which doesn't in /etc/powerpill.conf, you should add that.

* Some options should be disabled when not configured, like the powerpill-specific repos. Example : if you don't set [core], [extra], and [community] in powerpill.conf, you get a lot of those :

/Xyne/Arch/PowerpillConf.pm line 198 ... Use of uninitialized value $repo in string eq at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl

* When downloading, Aria2 sometimes prints a new line on stdout everytime it refreshes speed/ETA. Don't know if it is powerpill related.

Packaging options
I really think it should be in several, independant packages, with both xyne-arch and xyne-common libs holding the shared code. It doesn't hurt much to download 3 packages, and I like the idea of installing only the apps I need.
If you can't decide, either poll the community or do what's easier from the packager & repository maintainer point of view.

Last edited by Shunpike (2009-04-07 08:39:16)

#6 2009-05-03 01:39:16

archlinuxsagi

edit. move to the problems i face to
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=547019

Last edited by archlinuxsagi (2009-05-03 01:40:29)

#7 2009-05-03 02:24:23

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@archlinuxsagi
Ok, answered in the powerpill thread.

@Shunpike
Sorry, I never saw your edited reply because it didn't bump the thread. Let me know which issues persist, if any.

#8 2009-05-04 12:28:27

Shunpike

Everything is fine now, I guess you caught most of it on your own, or it was covered elsewhere.
I didn't want to bump the thread on purpose, didn't want to double-post.

#9 2009-05-04 22:45:50

MoonSwan

Tried to enable your testing repo but pacman spits out an error.  Is your repo down or something else?  I copied/pasted the repo name/info to my pacman.conf to prevent spelling errors too.

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 kdemod-core is up to date
 kdemod-extragear is up to date
 archlinuxfr is up to date
downloading xyne-any-testing.db.tar.gz...
error: failed to update xyne-any-testing (unexpected system error)

Last edited by MoonSwan (2009-05-04 22:47:22)

#10 2009-05-04 23:30:25

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Sorry, I should have edited this thread. The testing repo isn't up right now because I've moved everything into the regular repo.

Thanks for trying to enable nonetheless.

#11 2009-05-05 05:51:20

MoonSwan

Oh well so I guess everything is stable & working then?  Dang, need to be faster next time.  Sorry heh.

#12 2009-05-05 16:28:35

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

MoonSwan wrote:

Oh well so I guess everything is stable & working then?.

Um, yeah. *cough* tongue

I would actually say that the frequency of bug reports is now about one a week and they tend to be due to rare cases, so most things are now relatively stable.

Board footer