You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-04 11:00:15

Aktau
Website

X.org issues (likely intel related)

Hey there, I'm rather new to Arch (not really time-based, I've had Arch on my laptop for some time, just haven't used it too much). And I decided to be adventurous for a change.
Long story short, I could not wait for the KMS + DRI2 + UXA goodness that the .29 kernel and the 2.6/2.7 intel drivers (I have a 915) have to offer.

So, foolishly, I enabled testing and upgraded my X.org to 1.6, my kernel to .29 and all the other cutting edge stuff. When I started up X, everything seemed just dandy, except for the fact that my performance was exactly the same (in glxgears*). This would not have dissatisfied me too much as I don't use a compositing desktop (I'm trying out Awesome 3 from the Awesome repo). But, the other thing I encounted was the fact that ctrl+alt+bksp wasn't working anymore, which was a real pain. Also, even worse, my mouse wasn't working correctly anymore, it was constantly jumping here and there, making it very difficult to use my Awesome (super+z) menu.

This is when I decided to have a brain aneurysm and try to go the full monty. First of all I enabled UXA in my xorg.conf. Which didn't really work, I saw a flickering Awesomebar and sometimes I got to see my menu. But hey, at least X didn't crash. As if that wasn't enough indication that it was probably not going to work, I resolved that my UXA problems were due to KMS not being enabled.

So I follewed the instructions right here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 65#p522665

Unfortunately, after doing this, Arch would not really boot anymore, saying it could not mount the root filesystem, which I did not understand (I checked if I didn't forget 'filesystem'). So I didn't use the altered GRUB lines anymore and booted normally. This worked fine, because ostensibly I had not changed my default ramdisk. However, now X just refuses to show me a screen. At least with the intel driver. If I remove the intel driver and start X without a config, I can actually use my computer, although I think it might be using the VESA driver or something because performance drops to ~25 fps in glxgears. (how do I close X withouth ctrl-alt-bksp btw?)

Yet the intel driver from testing (or even the -newest one from the AUR) gives me nothing but a blank screen. And no X log either, because I have to hard reboot the computer.

So yes, I realise I messed up, but I'm willing to try anything anyone tells me (except perhaps do a full downgrade, it's easter vacation and I like to tinker).

Many thanks in advance and sorry for my english, it's not my native tongue.

* I am aware that glxgears is not a benchmark, but as so many have said, it seems to at least be a nice relative indicator of the performance of some function. For reference, I got ~210 fps. Pentium M 1.60 Ghz, 2GB DDR2 Ram, intel 915, EXA (on both X.org 1.5 and 1.6, with drivers 2.4 and 2.6 respectively, no difference in performance).

Board footer