You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-20 16:13:47

SavageMessiah

file size limit?

I'm having a wierd problem. I'm trying to mv a 2.2gb file over to my windows box. I've mounted a shared folder at /mnt/share. I've got like 60gb of space free. However, mv dies with the message: File size limit exceeded. It gets 2,147,483,647 bytes across, windows says this is 1.99gb, before it dies. Does this mean that mv can't handle a 2gb file? If so, how would I go about splitting up the file and putting it back together in windows? I have most of the gnu utilities on windows if that helps. Oh, and it's a rar file, and it's only got one file inside it that's even bigger, so extracting won't really help. I've copied files as large as 1.8gb before I think. I could have sworn I'd copied one bigger than 2gb, but maybe not.

Lol, any help would be appreciated because I haven't got any other way of getting the file over, except maybe for copying it to my fat32 drive, rebooting in 2000 and copying it that way.

EDIT: I just found out that the file size limit for ext3 is 2gb. The question is now, what the heck should I do about it? Will I even be able to split it? How did I download the file in the first place if  I can't have file bigger than 2GB.

EDIT2: Yet again, I solve my problem before anyone can answer. I love arch. It took me like 5 minutes to figure out how to make a samba share. Whereas in redhat I couldn't figure it out with a book. At this point it looks like that worked. Windows managed to get a bigger file than before, and winrar didn't complain that the file was incomplete. Yay!

#2 2004-09-20 17:11:07

dp
Website

Re: file size limit?

the alternative would be to split the file into 2 files, and join them then together:

lxsplit is for linux (is in extra):
http://www.software-facilities.com/sysu … xsplit.php

hjsplit is for windows:
http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

they both are compatible with each other

this way, i made a backup of some human genome archive (1.1gb) on 2 cd's (of course, nowadays, you can burn it to a dvd, but i don't have a dvd-burner)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-09-21 08:58:48

jojapa

SavageMessiah wrote:

I'm having a wierd problem. I'm trying to mv a 2.2gb file over to my windows box. I've mounted a shared folder at /mnt/share. I've got like 60gb of space free. However, mv dies with the message: File size limit exceeded. It gets 2,147,483,647 bytes across, windows says this is 1.99gb, before it dies. Does this mean that mv can't handle a 2gb file? If so, how would I go about splitting up the file and putting it back together in windows? I have most of the gnu utilities on windows if that helps. Oh, and it's a rar file, and it's only got one file inside it that's even bigger, so extracting won't really help. I've copied files as large as 1.8gb before I think. I could have sworn I'd copied one bigger than 2gb, but maybe not.

Lol, any help would be appreciated because I haven't got any other way of getting the file over, except maybe for copying it to my fat32 drive, rebooting in 2000 and copying it that way.

EDIT: I just found out that the file size limit for ext3 is 2gb. The question is now, what the heck should I do about it? Will I even be able to split it? How did I download the file in the first place if  I can't have file bigger than 2GB.

EDIT2: Yet again, I solve my problem before anyone can answer. I love arch. It took me like 5 minutes to figure out how to make a samba share. Whereas in redhat I couldn't figure it out with a book. At this point it looks like that worked. Windows managed to get a bigger file than before, and winrar didn't complain that the file was incomplete. Yay!

Well, i don't know where did you found that ext3 file size limit is 2GB,  cos that is wrong, ext3 can handle 2TB files in kernel 2.6, that's a big difference.  Read this http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html
Maybe the problem is that you are using kernel 2.4 ?.

#4 2004-09-21 13:46:19

Win

Hi SavageMessiah.

As jojapa points out, 2.6 (and probably most 2.4) kernels have LFS (large file support) and should be able to work with files as large as 2 Tb. The SuSe link provides an excellent summary of the present situation.

If you have an up-to-date kernel with LFS, you might want to look elsewhere: ulimit and quota.

ulimit is included in bash. Try as root:

ulimit -a

and review the results to see if there is a limit on maximum file size.

You'll see that you can set the maximum size of files created by the shell using the -f option:

-f The maximum size of files created by the shell

To make a permanent change here, use either the global profile, user .profile, or user .bashrc file.

You can also check other constraints by running quota (from the quota-tools package):

quota -v

Regards,

Win

#5 2004-09-21 17:20:48

SavageMessiah

I'll try that when I get back home. Er, oh yeah, I set up ssh. Er, crap, I forgot my ip. Home it is.

Come to think of it, I'm not really sure what fs I have. It's either ext3 or reiserfs. I've got kernel 2.6. I can't remember where I saw the thing about 2GB limit. I was just skimming google for info. Maybe I should coraborate my facts, huh?

#6 2004-09-21 19:29:39

rUff3r

I think the problem is not ext3 but windows.
And IMHO NTFS cant handle files bigger than 2 GB .

#7 2004-09-21 20:26:28

SavageMessiah

I think NTFS can handle files bigger than 4GB. Windows is obviously not the problem because, as I said I set up the directory where the file was as a samba share and I had no problem copying it from the windows end, rather than the other way around. If ext3 and 2.6 both support big files, then maybe samba can't transfer files over 2GB? That sounds unlikely because I'm positive I've moved files bigger than that. Anyway, it's a moot point, since I have a reliable way of copying now. I will check out ulimit and quota anyway though.

Board footer