You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-04 22:09:45

ctarwater

(solved) get X to use my PCI card instead of onboard graphics.

I'm trying to install arch on an old P4 dell (dimension 2350) and given the specific requirements and restrictions of this given beast I'm having a bit of trouble getting X configured.  (I'm turning it into a replacement for my modded xbox running xbmc, yes, I know it won't play hi-def)

Here's the setup:
- It has onboard graphics (intel) which I don't plan on using since it only has vga out.
- I've installed my video card (ATI radeon 9250 - hey it's the best standard pci card I could find)

Here's the problem:
- Everything works with the onboard intel chip
- If I try to plug my monitor in to the ATI card it (the monitor) dims and doesn't register as being attached.\
- I've tried turning off the onboard graphics in my bios but the only options are "onboard" and "auto" so it's currently set to auto.

More fun:
- The fun part is that I plan on using the ATI card's svideo out to my tv once it's set up, I'm just trying to get the monitor to work while I configure everything.

I'm considering trying to run an ubuntu live disc and seeing if I can copy over the xorg.conf file that gets generated.

Any ideas?

**edit
After some searching I've got it working.  Apparently linux still reads onboard cards with this pc/bios because of the piss poor bios.

i added 'blacklist agpgart' & 'blacklist intel_agp' (without quotes) to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, set video to 'auto' in the bios, plugged the monitor into my card and rebooted.

sweet.

Last edited by ctarwater (2009-04-05 00:44:18)

Board footer