You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-05 10:59:21

Brocon

Risk Ext4 or stick with JFS

Ok, I know that there are a lot of post about this, but I still can not make up my mind!

I have been using JFS just fine on my main PC for about a year now, it has been fast and stable. I have just go a new laptop and I'm about to stick arch on it, I'm a bit unsure if I stick with JFS or go with the newer ext4.

The laptop has a 128GB SSD if that makes a difference, I want a journled fs so no ext2 and hopefully the drive will hold up well!

Any thought or comparisions of ext4 vs JFS with both tunes but still hopefully stable.  I have to say I'm leaning to JFS but purly as it is less main stream, at the same time common sense says to go with ext4 as it going to get a lot more attention...

#2 2009-04-05 11:30:10

evilgold

Re: Risk Ext4 or stick with JFS

after using XFS for the past 2 years or so, i had the same thoughts about going to ext4 when it came out. My reasoning was that ext4 seemed from what i read to be about as fast if not faster then XFS, and since ext4 is going to eventually become more popular and better supported down the road, i decided to start using it on my new systems.

I would reccomend going with ext4 unless you have a specific feature with JFS that ext4 doesnt have.

#3 2009-04-05 12:20:45

Brocon

Re: Risk Ext4 or stick with JFS

There aren't any specific features that I need, there just seem to be quite a few posts floating around about data loss on ext4, I don't want that tongue

It seems nodelalloc fixes this but slows the fs down to ext3 speeds, at least for now...

JFS has been quick and reliable for me, not sure it is worth the switch over, but I don't reformat very often so need to pick right.

Last edited by Brocon (2009-04-05 12:40:22)

Board footer