You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-20 23:15:42

gaah

mouse

hello! I have problems getting the mouse to work in kde! or maybe even in x-org, not sure! I've tried allot of mouse setups, but nothing works! when I move the mouse arround it goes anywhere it wants on the screan and not in the correct direction! it also thinks I press the buttons when just moving it sometimes!

the mouse is a HP with two regular buttons and then a scroll whele that is also a button! which mouse setup should I enter in the xorg config file?
and what is more likely, the problem is in kde or xorg?

#2 2004-09-20 23:41:39

patrix

Re: mouse

Problem is most likely in your xorg configuration.

I had a similar problem a long time ago - if I remember, I had incorrectly set the mouse protocol in xorg.conf in the mouse's InputDevice section.

#3 2004-09-21 00:19:29

paranoos

Yes, I've had this problem several times in the past as well.

It is definitely because your xorg.conf Input section is wrong. I've read somewhere that all wheel mice should use the ExplorerPS/2 protocol. It is what I am using, and I have a Logitech wireless trackball. Here is what your setup should look like:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse 1"
    Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Buttons" "5"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Don't change the Identifier line that you already have. Also, you could probably do without the last two Option lines, but I've included them for completeness.

#4 2004-09-21 00:25:06

patrix

ExplorerPS/2 ?   I use ImPS/2

#5 2004-09-22 21:55:43

gaah

mouse works now! it turned out to be the kvm switch that messed things up! but I still have problems! the scroll wheel doens't work! how to fix that?

#6 2004-09-23 01:47:58

steveed

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … ure%20xorg

Check out the section on how the mouse is configured, the ZAxisMapping option is what you need to add.

Option "ZAxisMapping "4 5"

Assuming of course that you have a two-button mouse with a wheel and that is it. If you have more buttons this will make your wheel work but the other buttons won't, that requires some additional options as well as using xmodmap to set the button order.

#7 2004-09-23 01:53:09

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

patrix wrote:

ExplorerPS/2 ?   I use ImPS/2

A Linux kernel hacker told me that in kernel 2.6, all mouse events are issued under the ExplorerPS/2 protocol.  I think they're basically moving the mouse driver/protocol logic from the XServer to the kernel.  In other words, the kernel interprets the mouse input, and then outputs it to XServer in the ExplorerPS/2 protocol regardless of the input protocol. (That's not fact, just theory. I haven't checked the code).

Dusty

#8 2004-09-23 17:43:59

patrix

Dusty wrote:

A Linux kernel hacker told me that in kernel 2.6, all mouse events are issued under the ExplorerPS/2 protocol.  I think they're basically moving the mouse driver/protocol logic from the XServer to the kernel.  In other words, the kernel interprets the mouse input, and then outputs it to XServer in the ExplorerPS/2 protocol regardless of the input protocol. (That's not fact, just theory. I haven't checked the code).

Dusty

I heard exactly the same thing, except it was ImPS/2 wink. And that was back in 2.4 days. Maybe in 2.6 they changed to ExplorerPS/2 and keep ImPS/2 for compatibility reasons?

btw I have a logitech mouseman 3-button  + wheel and the ZAxisMapping 4 5 option still works, and all my 3 buttons work too

#9 2004-09-23 19:38:26

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

patrix wrote:

Maybe in 2.6 they changed to ExplorerPS/2 and keep ImPS/2 for compatibility reasons?

probably. It seems to me he said that the ExplorerPS/2 protocol allowed for more options or buttons or something... these guys are mysterious after all...

Board footer