You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-07 13:01:14

PierreR

Xmonad with Gtk/gnome look and feel

I have been successfully using xmonad with a good "gtk look and feel". The trick I was using was to launch "gnome-settings-daemon" in the background before calling "exec xmonad" in my .Xclient (or .xsession) file.

Unfortunately with the latest gnome update, launching the daemon creates zombie process and does not work as expected anymore. Apparently it is now mandatory to launch gnome-session instead.

At this stage there is a slightly annoying bug. The xmodbar disappears after a mod-q refresh (I need to refresh everytime I use xrandr to get a nice bar).

I have tried to set up xmonad as the gnome windowmanager according to xmonad tutorial but the result has never been satisfactory so far.

So here is the question :

Is there a way to get a nice look and feel for gtk application without launching "gnome-session" ? I am not really interested in any gnome features apart from the nice gtk look and feel (and apart from "gnome-screensaver" for locking the station).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million.

#2 2009-04-07 13:30:33

Rydgel
Website

Re: Xmonad with Gtk/gnome look and feel

I'm using lxappearance for awesome and openbox. Or you can edit your ~/.gtkrc-2.0 by "hand".

#3 2009-04-07 13:49:15

PierreR

Re: Xmonad with Gtk/gnome look and feel

Thanks !

I thought I need a sort of daemon for this but indeed it works by just configuring the gui style again.

I still need to get a transparent gnome-terminal or to use another terminal that manage transparency. The background image is not ajusted. All kind of details I can figure out later.

Board footer