You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-08 21:16:17

Gilgad13

Running console vim with gui support

I want to run console vim with gui support so that this plugin will be supported.  The current vim package is complied without gui support.  Gui support is in a seperate "gvim" package.

Is there a elegant way to run console vim with gui support if I have both packages installed?

Two ways I've thought about but ultimately discarded are:
1. Alias "vim" to "gvim -v", which runs gvim in the console.  This works under most normal circumstances, but not under others.  First, if running vim through sudo, my plugins and vimrc are loaded, but as the shell is different, the alias doesn't apply.  Second, as vi is vim, running vi invokes this plugin, but vi calls vim, which doesn't have gui support, so the plugin fails.

2. Fool with the /usr/bin/vim file.  Admittedly i haven't tried this, but obvious problems I see are when the vim package is updated.  What happens then?

Is there a more elegant way?

:wq

#2 2009-04-09 02:12:26

ggarron
Website

Re: Running console vim with gui support

Hi,

Why you want to alias vim to gvim -v?, why not just run vim, and gvim separately?

regards,
Guillermo.

#3 2009-04-09 03:29:57

Gilgad13

I want to run vim using a plugin that requires vim to be built with gui support.  The way arch's packages are set up, /usr/bin/vim is owned by the "vim" package, which is compiled without gui support.

The "gvim" package is (obviously) built with gui support.  Gvim can be run in the console with "gvim -v", which would give me a console vim with gui support.  However, I think you'll agree that typing "gvim -v" everytime I mean "vim" is tedious and not a real solution.

:wq

#4 2009-04-09 06:58:00

dunz0r
Website

Two possible solutions:
1) Make an alias, something like alias vim='gvim -v'
2) Downnload the vim source code and compile your own vim.

RTFM or GTFO
hax0r.se

#5 2009-04-09 09:25:02

Nepherte
Website

Just use abs and the pkgbuild of vim to compile vim with gui support. You can find more info on abs and pkgbuild on the wiki.

Board footer