You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-09 23:31:25

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Unable to update database after pacman upgrade

Hi all,

With reference to http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=69465...

I just updated pacman myself, here. There was a kernel (2.6.29) upgrade as well, since I'm not using testing. All goes well, till I try to run pacman -Sy again after the reboot, and it gives error messages for all repos EXCEPT archlinuxfr.

I checked the mirrorlist and everything was commented out. It seems from the above thread that this was done on purpose. Somehow it seems to me that this would be helpful to some but a deal-breaker for others (like the OP in the above thread). Perhaps one should have been left uncommented, or a rankmirrors run immediately as part of the install?

Not sure if this qualifies as a bug, therefore posting it here for feedback.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2009-04-09 23:36:47

brisbin33
Website

Re: Unable to update database after pacman upgrade

i'd agree that a message to uncomment some repos should've been included in the mirrorlist upgrade

-but-

i'm ecstatic to see them all commented by default.  i hated that whenever there was a mirrorlist upgrade i had to go through and tediously comment out 90% of the file just to use the updated version.  going in and just uncommenting the 10 i want was much better in my opinion.

#3 2009-04-10 00:13:05

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I agree that its easier (though a simple search-and-replace for Server can comment everything if you want). My concern is that DEFAULT behaviour breaks things, even if its only for the minute or so it takes for your brain to wake up.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2009-04-10 02:13:55

Allan
Pacman
Website

The mirrorlist file should have been saved as a .pacsave unless you made no adjustments to the last version at all...

#5 2009-04-10 16:48:47

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Which was precisely the case, since just prior to that due to a syncing error I'd replaced my own mirrorlist with the backup default list. So no, no .pacsave mirrorlists, I checked.

Seems like mine is a corner case, then. Not that this issue is of any lasting importance, though, just for this moment in time.

Board footer