#1 2009-04-11 15:54:52

ash

xorg 1.4 and kde 4.2

i just installed arch + kde 4.2 in new install on my box

in kde i open systemsettings

click on the desktop icon

systemsettings window disappears from the screen and the crash window appears

A Fatal Error Occurred
The application System Settings (systemsettings) crashed and caused the signal 6 (SIGABRT).
Please help us improve the software you use by filing a report at http://bugs.kde.org. Useful details include how to reproduce the error, documents that were loaded, etc.

when i run from konsole there is some text that appears when it crashes

bash-3.2$ systemsettings
bash-3.2$ Object::connect: No such slot KWin::KWinCompositingConfig::compositingModeChanged()
Object::connect:  (sender name:   'compositingType')
Object::connect:  (receiver name: 'KWinCompositingConfig')
systemsettings: main/context.c:1063: _mesa_initialize_context: Assertion `driverFunctions->NewTextureObject' failed.
KCrash: Application 'systemsettings' crashing...
sock_file=/home/ash/.kde4/socket-viridian/kdeinit4__0

this is a new install (new hard drive) of the same setup i allready had on the same computer. i have the previous drive and can run the previous setup if i want

in both systems i use xorg server 1.4 and xf86-video-intel 2.3

in the previous system i had trouble making effects to work with the newer xorg but they work perfect (right away !) with xorg 1.4

in the new system xorg 1.5 and 1.6 (and intel and intel-legacy drivers) have very bad performance with effects off and make the computer really crawl if i switch them on (and they work only with xrender and not gl). xorg 1.4 has ok performance but i cant get to the effects settings at all

in the previous system its kde 4.2.0

in the current its 4.2.2

mainboard is gigabyte ga-8ig1000mk with intel 865 graphics

well what made kde and xorg 1.4 break this time ? it worked perfectly in the previous system

i want answers on how to make xorg 1.4 work and not only how to fix xorg 1.6 or 1.5

Board footer