You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-12 14:52:15

jrecortel

keyboard on login prompt after booting

hello.just finished installing arch.i thought i wont get past partitioning.;)
i followed the beginner's guide and its great. i have now the kde4 and it looks great.i just encounter some bumps but i easily resolve it with the help of wiki.great source of information.;)
now, i have this problem about keyboard.whenever i boot and get into login prompt, the keyboard wont respond for about 5-10 sec.but after that, it will work perfectly again.is there anyway i can fix it so that once it present the login prompt after booting, my keyboard will respond immediately to my key press?
thanks in advance.

"...mine convinced me that which was not honest could not be truly useful." - Benjamin Franklin

Registered Linux User #479077

#2 2009-04-13 00:22:09

jrecortel

Re: keyboard on login prompt after booting

im having a hard time looking for a solution on this one. is this just normal in arch when booting to init 3?have any of you encounter this kind of "problem"?
thanks once again.

"...mine convinced me that which was not honest could not be truly useful." - Benjamin Franklin

#3 2009-04-13 01:26:01

Mektub

jrecortel wrote:

im having a hard time looking for a solution on this one. is this just normal in arch when booting to init 3?have any of you encounter this kind of "problem"?
thanks once again.

Never heard about such delay, its certainly not normal. Have you tried to boot straight into a graphical login ?
It would not solve the problem, but perhaps we could get some hints from it.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#4 2009-04-13 02:10:19

jrecortel

Mektub wrote:

Never heard about such delay, its certainly not normal. Have you tried to boot straight into a graphical login ?
It would not solve the problem, but perhaps we could get some hints from it.

Mektub

thanks Mektub for the reply.coming from slackware, i boot to console before running kde.so that if theres any problem with X, i can try to fix it.i tried to make some changes in /etc/rc.conf about which daemon to load in background and also try editing /etc/inittab.but the problem stays.ill be more than glad if i can fix it so that i remain booting first to console before to gui.anyway, ill try what you suggested and ill post back the result.thanks again.

#5 2009-04-13 03:04:59

jrecortel

i tried booting straight to graphical login and the keyboard respond immediately.when i tried to boot again to console first, the problem is still there.any idea to fix it? any help is greatly appreciated.

#6 2009-04-13 11:24:56

Mektub

jrecortel wrote:

i tried booting straight to graphical login and the keyboard respond immediately.when i tried to boot again to console first, the problem is still there.any idea to fix it? any help is greatly appreciated.

Level 3 ends up by executing (from /etc/inittab):

/sbin/agetty -8 38400 vc/1 linux

agetty reads /etc/issue (check that one) and calls /bin/login.

To narrow the problem you could test with a agetty  and/or a /bin/login replacement.

In the AUR there is mingetty, a agetty replacement, but I never used it.

But I do use the autologin method described at (message #37):

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=47962&p=2

Essentially I just did the steps:

2) made a autologin.c file which contains
int main() {
   execlp( "login", "login", "-f", "replace_with_your_username", 0);
}
3) compiled it with gcc -o autologin autologin.c and chmod 755
4) move the file to /usr/local/sbin
5) edit /etc/inittab and change:
     c1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -8 38400 vc/1 linux 
    to 
    c1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -n -l /usr/local/sbin/autologin -8 38400 vc/1 linux

Of course this 1) doesn't explain your problem, 2) its a security breach.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#7 2009-04-16 03:05:15

jrecortel

hello.stumble on this while looking for some solution:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=38676
i have the same problem regarding the delay.has any of you know some solution on this problem?thanks

Board footer