You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-12 18:22:46

Kalinda

KDE: After new font install Times New Roman lags/crashes OpenOffice

Hallo all,

This problem has been troubling me since I first switched to Linux with Open Suse a couple years back. I got around it on Kubuntu without installing new fonts...

But the other day I decided to give it a go, thinking it might be a bug in KDE3 that was fixed in 4. So I installed a ton of fonts for Photoshopping and now, just like the first time, Times New Roman looks ugly in OpenOffice and if I'm trying to open a document that's .doc or .rtf and written in Times it lags Writer and typically crashes instead of opening. This is a problem since friends send me stuff all the time and they are Windows users.

Strangely if I print with Times it looks like it's supposed to but otherwise it's ugly. It looks this way in KOffice, too. I'm not so much concerned with that as I am with the lagging and crashing Writer, though.

If this is a bug then it must be pretty old. Has anyone else encountered this before?

The Defaults button is also grayed out in the KDE Font Installer. Anyone know why? If I can just revert to default with fonts then I will.

Thanks!

Arch Linux Plasma 5 | AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | 16GB DDR4 RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 980

#2 2009-04-15 09:15:09

onguarde

Re: KDE: After new font install Times New Roman lags/crashes OpenOffice

Have u installed ttf-ms-fonts? No problem here with openoffice in kde3 and 4. If the problem is specific to Times New Roman font, you can use openoffice's built-in font replacement setting under..

Tools>Options>Fonts>Apply replacement table

#3 2009-04-15 17:58:24

Kalinda

Thanks for the reply!

I have installed the MS fonts. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling it. This problem only started when I installed a bunch of new fonts that I've collected over the years for Photoshopping.

Using the replacement thing doesn't work, either; whenever I open a Times New Roman doc the font is still the same. It only freezes or crashes for really long documents but that's still a problem for me. Also it looks really ugly.

I'd honestly be fine if I could just restore the defaults but the Defaults button is grayed out in the font installer sad

I only assume that that would fix it, though. I think the problem is that one of the fonts I installed messed up Times New Roman. The problem is that I've got hundreds of em and I don't know which ones are mine and which ones came with KDE/MS fonts.

Arch Linux Plasma 5 | AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | 16GB DDR4 RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 980

#4 2009-04-16 11:00:57

onguarde

Try reinstalling openoffice too. Start with a clean slate(use to the remove config files option when uninstalling).

Also, I think you have to confirm whether it is really the TMR font that is causing the crash and not the .doc document. Try typing a new document using TMR save it as .doc and opening it etc.

Regarding the ugly fonts, I guess u've got to go to the font folder and do some experimenting.

Board footer