You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-12 19:00:00

onguarde

Select Text Word by Word (Instead of by letter)

Peace all!

I was fiddling with some Win coms and noticed that they selected words differently. I.e by word instead of by letter in linux. Is it possible to change this?

Also stumbled upon the following tip for macos, which allows u to toggle between selecting word by word or even paragraph by paragraph. Wonder if this is possible in linux...

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php? … 8130522201

Thanks in advance!

#2 2009-04-12 19:35:32

jumzi

Re: Select Text Word by Word (Instead of by letter)

Wosh this was... Well, yes all is possible. But there's so many ways to go in Linux i can't possible point a particular way to do this in linux.

First of is ms word a WYSIWYG editor for text documents. And the "linux" equivalent must be openbox(abiword is also similar, but doesn't have all the same neat features if i understood i correctly) And well then you have to look into the openbox manual or tutorials of some sort.

I on the other hand belive than (g)Vim is allot better, and if i wanna do articles and the alike i use the latex-suit with Vim as an editor. In Vim you can configure abnormally much and you can do what you wondered about and a thousands other things. Altough it has a steep learning curve (and so do latex compared with msword and openbox) i recommend to atleast try it by installing it and type "vimtutor" in the terminal.

And another tip is to recognize that this is a question about software, not "in Linux" Linux is just the OS. In order to edit text you need a text editor. Altough a OS like Windows and a distro like Ubuntu might make you think that graphical text editors are part of the OS "Windows" And "Linux" and can be referred as such, but they cannot.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited by jumzi (2009-04-12 19:37:43)

#3 2009-04-12 19:48:38

Rip-Rip

jumzi wrote:

[...]
First of is ms word a WYSIWYG editor for text documents. And the "linux" equivalent must be openbox(abiword is also similar, but doesn't have all the same neat features if i understood i correctly) And well then you have to look into the openbox manual or tutorials of some sort.
[...]

Did you mean OpenOffice? Openbox doesn't make sense here.

#4 2009-04-12 20:32:26

onguarde

Errr.. This is totally not about editing really. Its about selecting text.

#5 2009-04-12 20:39:07

moljac024

This is totally a pot-head thread...

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

Board footer