You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-12 19:55:22

pseudonomous

Looking for a way to locally archive old personal e-mails

Hi Everybody,

As the subject states, I'm trying to figure out the best way to fetch old e-mail off the imap e-mail service I have, and store it locally.  I know that almost every mail client that supports imap can do this, but I'm looking for something that will be largely independant of the client (2 or 3 years ago I was doing this with thunderbird, but then switched to evolution, evolution would attempt to import the mail from thunderbird but would fail, so that old mail is now somewhat hard for me to get at, I want to avoid a repeat, especially since I change preferred mail clients rather often).  I'm also hoping for something with a relatively simple storage scheme, so I can backup up the files easily to external media and restore them even if I lose my operating system. I'm also hoping that I don't actually have to setup my own mail server to do this, but if that's what it takes, I'll do it.

Any suggestions?

#2 2009-04-12 20:02:08

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Looking for a way to locally archive old personal e-mails

The thing is there are different storage formats (mbox for example), and not all *nix clients use the same storage format - Thunderbird e.g. uses some kind of mbox, but mbox formats aren't necessarily mutually interchangeable...

Up till now I trust Google more than myself when it comes to backup capabilities tongue.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2009-04-12 21:31:16

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Looking for a way to locally archive old personal e-mails

i've set up courier specially for backups and archiving.   I consider this an advantage instead of a disadvantage, because once it's running you can automate backups using a tool such as imapsync, and you can access your mails easily and move mails to your archive from multiple pc's/mail clients.

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

Board footer