You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-13 23:24:10

hank863

Delete Unneeded Files and Folders

Is there a program that I could use to remove unneeded files and folders?  I've been messing around with Gnome and KDE lately to determine which I prefer.  I've decided to stick with Gnome for right now, but I'm left with all of the KDE folders.  I know I could use pacman to remove the folders initially created when I installed the packages, but what about the others?

#2 2009-04-14 02:06:27

windtalker

Re: Delete Unneeded Files and Folders

The programs I've used in the past had the nasty habit of removing things I needed.
I myself would play it safe and just pacman -Rd kde     pacman -Q | grep -e kde

#3 2009-04-14 03:55:39

MoonSwan

If you're wanting to be a bit more brave, pacman -Rns also works OK for the most part.  Don't use the "cascade" switch though!  It can & will break things more often than not.  Trust me on this, I speak from experience.  big_smile

#4 2009-04-14 03:58:54

hank863

I use pacman -Rsn for uninstalling most of the time anyway.  I'm wondering about the folders that are still left behind after that.  I can always manually go through my home directory, /usr/lib, and others to manually remove folders I know I don't need.  I was looking for something more automated though.

#5 2009-04-14 04:13:10

droog

hank863 wrote:

I use pacman -Rsn for uninstalling most of the time anyway.  I'm wondering about the folders that are still left behind after that.  I can always manually go through my home directory, /usr/lib, and others to manually remove folders I know I don't need.  I was looking for something more automated though.

You should only need to clean your home directory yourself, I remember seeing a program that was supposed to do it for you called bleachbit in the aur, It's pretty easy to rm -rf ~/.kde though.

#6 2009-04-14 15:54:59

hank863

I deleted the .kde and .kde4 folders in my home directory and recovered 200mb of disc space.  I also decided to run bleachbit.  It's a great program.  Thanks for the lead!  After running it, I recovered another 500mb of space without any negative effects that I can see as of now.

#7 2009-04-14 16:14:01

Chrysalis

windtalker wrote:

The programs I've used in the past had the nasty habit of removing things I needed.
I myself would play it safe and just pacman -Rd kde     pacman -Q | grep -e kde

Thats just stupid unless you want to be left with a bunch of pkgs with missing dependencies and a ton of orphans. -Rsn is the reverse or -S and wont remove anything unless you had a bunch of orphans initially prior to installing kde and should warn you if its needed by other apps before completing that you might want to uninstall first. -Rd is there pretty much only for single pkgs that pacman has a problem upgrading, never use it unless you know what you are doing.

Board footer