You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-14 00:02:53

brisbin33
Website

[SOLVED]line drawing characters differ depending launch method

unicode line drawing characters, the ones that make the "thread trees" in mutt.  i use them in my prompt as well.  today i've noticed something weird. 

it was the first time i've rebooted/restarted X in a while so this could've started god knows when.  in the screenshot below you'll see four terminals, two xterms (xterm-256color) and two urxvtcs (rxvt-unicode-256color).  first notice the line drawing characters between them. 

here's the ODD part.  the one's where the line drawing characters are broken we're launched by an openbox menu shortcut or dmenu.  the one's that work were launched from the other terminals (as you can see by the commands in them).  why would a unicode line drawing character behave differently depending on the method with which the terminal was launched.  dmenu and my openbox menu simply call the same command i did from CLI.  oh, and font makes no difference.  i'm so baffled.

one last thing, calling urxvtc or xterm with "-e mutt" for instance from either dmenu or an openbox shortcut results in the line drawing works just fine there.  wtf is going on?

line drawing also fails if run from gmrun.  so what's the difference?

desktop_04_13_09_19_54.jpg

Last edited by brisbin33 (2009-04-14 23:34:54)

#2 2009-04-14 11:00:49

dunz0r
Website

Re: [SOLVED]line drawing characters differ depending launch method

silly question... have you looked at the menu enty for xterm/urxtc in your menu?

RTFM or GTFO
hax0r.se

#3 2009-04-14 13:12:16

brisbin33
Website

Yup, considering it's broken for dmenu, gmrun, and openbox menu i don't think it's that.  for completeness here's some snippets:

openbox shortcut that gives a GOOD terminal:

<item label="Mail">
    <action name="Execute">
      <command>urxvtc -g 150x50 -e mutt</command>
    </action>
  </item>

openbox shortcut that gives a BAD terminal:

<item label="Single Rxvt">
    <action name="Execute">
      <command>urxvtc</command>
    </action>
  </item>

also, i haven't touch this menu.xml in forever.

#4 2009-04-14 23:34:38

brisbin33
Website

OK, had an epiphany at work today. 

it was down to a stupid .bashrc issue.  i added this:

if [[ -z "$DISPLAY" ]] && [[ $(tty) = /dev/vc/1 ]]; then
  startx
  logout
fi

[which sets up a sweet, lean, console login] to the TOP of my bashrc file.  this meant that $LANG and $LC_ALL weren't set in my X environment.  meaning programs launched via dmenu or openbox menu didn't have those exports either.

BUT, if i opened up a terminal first, that read .bashrc fully, which read $LANG and $LC_ALL exports thereby successfully opening the second terminal(s) with the correct line drawing characters.

i'm a dumb dumby.  SOLVED.

Board footer