You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-14 08:44:32

Fai27

Huuuuge Problem

Oh god, the problems I'm having...
Well, I installed the ISO, and unetbootin, completed the installation, and rebooted.
I went to the choice "unetbootin" for my OS choices menu, and it went through a bunch of commands, and led me to the setup. Now, before, my only error was me not configuring my ethernet, so... Yeah.
BUT, now this is even worse. I went to partition drive, because I was not entirely ready to format all my data off my drive, I have extremely important documents and pictures of my family. So I think this is where I screwed up. I selected one of the three options, and it warned me about destroying or corrupting data. So I hesitated, then clicked OK. I'M PRETTY SURE this is where I screwed up colossally, because after this I went to select packages, which gave me a list of websites, IDK WHY, so I clicked a few, and all I got was errors. (which I assume were from no ethernet setup)

So I wentto exit setup so I could log onto my windows xp to research this error, but when I did, it just went to show this message saying it's missing a hal.ddl file, which got me nervous, thinking I just destroyed all my valuable data. I looked on my iPod touch (which I'm using now) and it told me to insert my windows cd and repair. I, luckily, have it, and inserted and rebooted. Selected repair, which it asks for an administrator password which I don't freaking have, because this used to be my dads comp, so I emailed him.

In the mean time, I'm back at the archlinux setup. I go to the package setup, after confirming and "probing" my ethernet.  Everytime I select a FTP website to dowload package lists, it shows the error "error fetching package list from server" I am now going through each one from the top trying each without success. 

I JYST WANTED TO USE ARCHLINUX, NOT HAVE ALL THESE PROBLEMS!!

So please and thank you, diagnose my problems smile

#2 2009-04-14 09:13:17

hauntergeist

Re: Huuuuge Problem

Hello Fai27. Welcome to the Arch Linux Forums! smile

So, the first thing everybody should do, when s/he tinkers at her/his system is: Backup your important data!
Second, try to remove your (maybe formatted) hdd and put it in a pc sytem that works. Then boot the pc and try to access the hdd from the working os and try to save what's possible.

Concerning your ethernet problem: How is your network set up? Do you have a router? Is the given ip static or does the router use dhcp? dhcp should be better and look if your router is set up correctly, i.e. has correct dns servers etc.

#3 2009-04-14 09:23:49

Fai27

Yikes! I'm so new to this! Well, I'm not completely familiar with all that you said, how can removing and putting my hard drive into another computer help me save my data?

Also, regarding my Ethernet, I'm quite sure it's not a static ip, because it does change although like I said, I'm not too familiar what you mean. What is dhcp? I can confirm the Internet works because it's shares with two other computers.

#4 2009-04-14 09:26:55

Fai27

oh, update.
I went through all those FTP and http servers and none worked, and now I rechecked the 'configure network' tab and it asked to use dhcp, which I said yes, and it showed "failed to run dhcpcd.
sad

#5 2009-04-14 09:34:57

quarkup
Website

Welcome Fai27 !

This guide helped me a lot when I installed arch, and everything just went ok.

Maybe you should have a look at it: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … Hard_Drive

the dhcp lets your computer get a IP(internet protocol) so you can be identified in internet. If you don't have an IP, you cannot access internet.

The same wiki topic explains it too (here)

I use to get the internet connection with these commands:

for ethernet (interface = eth0)

sudo ifconfig eth0 up
sudo dhcpcd eth0

If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

#6 2009-04-14 10:14:38

hauntergeist

To save your data: when you have another working pc then there is a hard drive in your pc with a OS where you can boot from. When you put your (maybe formatted) hdd in your working pc than you can boot from the working OS, i.e. not the os on your formatted hdd, but from the operating system of your working pc. From the working os you can access the formatted hdd with your windows explorer and look if there is anything left to be saved.

Last edited by hauntergeist (2009-04-14 10:18:30)

#7 2009-04-14 14:35:59

hokasch

Maybe you should try directly with the newest iso, I think unetbootin does not work anymore due outdated installer. There where lot of changes since then which could break the install.

#8 2009-04-14 15:18:18

Fai27

hokasch wrote:

Maybe you should try directly with the newest iso, I think unetbootin does not work anymore due outdated installer. There where lot of changes since then which could break the install.

How can I get this ISO us my windows is corrupted?!?!

#9 2009-04-14 17:33:07

hokasch

Did you try just pressing enter when windows asks for a password?

Probably your MBR is screwed causing the error message, there are many ways to restore it (just google for it). How you can organize a fresh ISO, it is hard to tell from here... one idea would be to ask a friend/neighbour to download an burn it, maybe you can transfer an usb ISO from your ipod touch to a pendrive? don't know...

I do not really understand what ISO you used, but the supported Arch release listed in Unetbootin is 2007.08, and I am pretty sure that one is not gonna work anymore. You will need a more recent one.

EDIT: sorry, misread your post... If you are not sure what partitions you formatted, boot with a live cd and check what happened... if you really formatted the wrong drive, you can probably get most data back. Look for tools to recover ntfs filesystems, and meanwhile do not write any data on the disk (including installing any OS...), as this reduces your chances.

Last edited by hokasch (2009-04-14 17:48:22)

#10 2009-04-14 18:16:04

eldragon

this might sound pedantic and not much of help, but.... did you read the begginer's guide on the wiki? how about the install guide on the front page of www.archlinux.org?

blindly copy/pasting isnt adviced..

if you wish to be able to use that computer (and maybe recover some data), download a livecd from one of the friendlier distros (ubuntu, fedora, suse ...) and try to mount the hdd in order to try and recover your data.

#11 2009-04-14 22:13:59

Fai27

hokasch wrote:

Did you try just pressing enter when windows asks for a password?

Probably your MBR is screwed causing the error message, there are many ways to restore it (just google for it). How you can organize a fresh ISO, it is hard to tell from here... one idea would be to ask a friend/neighbour to download an burn it, maybe you can transfer an usb ISO from your ipod touch to a pendrive? don't know...

I do not really understand what ISO you used, but the supported Arch release listed in Unetbootin is 2007.08, and I am pretty sure that one is not gonna work anymore. You will need a more recent one.

EDIT: sorry, misread your post... If you are not sure what partitions you formatted, boot with a live cd and check what happened... if you really formatted the wrong drive, you can probably get most data back. Look for tools to recover ntfs filesystems, and meanwhile do not write any data on the disk (including installing any OS...), as this reduces your chances.

Pressing enter when it asks for admin password just goes to a <C:> something command, is this what's supposed to happen?

Also, i'm pretty sure I picked the latest ISO from the list, unetbootin is the farthest I've gotten in an installation, Wubi would not fully install ubuntu, just froze somewhere in the installation and showed the ubuntu wallpaper.

I've ordered launchpad CDs about 3 weeks ago, could I just install that OS straight from the disc?

#12 2009-04-14 23:20:55

Fai27

Update.
I ran the recovery tool and did a fixboot, and got my desktop back, all shortcuts, all startup items ran successfully, and now I'm kinds worried, I have 20 something gigs of harddrive space, out of a total 70 gb capacity.  It pretty much duplicated my windows, but now with one of them using the restored hal.dll

What should I do now?
One things for sure, I am NOT touching any Linux installs unless it's a legitimate way of installing. What a nightmare thinking my computer data was destroyed.

#13 2009-04-15 00:36:30

hacosta

Fai27 wrote:

One things for sure, I am NOT touching any Linux installs unless it's a legitimate way of installing. What a nightmare thinking my computer data was destroyed.

Legitimate?
I'm not even going there..  But I'm sure no one will miss you..
anyway.. first google hit..
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerr … haldll.htm

Good Luck

#14 2009-04-15 07:53:36

Fai27

Legitimate as in CD, etc.

#15 2009-04-15 08:24:03

toad
Website

Hi Fai27,

with your level of expertise I would recommend you get yourself an Ubuntu or Kubuntu CD and take it from there. You don't even need to touch your M$. Simply insert the CD with your computer running - it is called a wubi install and should get you started.

Arch can be for the uninitiated but they must bring with them patience and a willingness to learn. It is NOT a "pop in the CD and go" thing (like a wubi ubuntu install).

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#16 2009-04-15 13:05:42

mrunion
Website

Arch has a CD -- download the ISO and burn it and you have an install CD. Is that what you meant?

And I second toad. If you're new to Linux, either be patient and read and learn when using Arch, or just go with Ubuntu.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#17 2009-04-15 13:36:27

tomk
Forum Fellow

Fai27, if you're still reading this thread, would you mind telling me why you thought Arch would suit you? I know it's a little off-topic, and if you've sworn off linux for a while, I'll understand if you'd prefer not to answer. However, you are one of a growing number of prospective users who are trying to use Arch with little or no previous linux experience, so I'm wondering if we need to clarify further the intended user group for Arch i.e. those with intermediate or advanced linux knowledge and experience.

#18 2009-04-15 23:06:14

Fai27

tomk wrote:

Fai27, if you're still reading this thread, would you mind telling me why you thought Arch would suit you? I know it's a little off-topic, and if you've sworn off linux for a while, I'll understand if you'd prefer not to answer. However, you are one of a growing number of prospective users who are trying to use Arch with little or no previous linux experience, so I'm wondering if we need to clarify further the intended user group for Arch i.e. those with intermediate or advanced linux knowledge and experience.

Well, I mainly just want a change from windows, it really hasn't cooperated with me lately and I have an older computer so I need something with an easier interface and easier on my RAM.

#19 2009-04-15 23:12:52

tomk
Forum Fellow

OK, but why Arch in particular? Did you somehow get the idea that it was suitable for newcomers to linux? And if so, how, or where, did you get that impression?

Board footer