You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-14 09:14:12

PierreR

Xcursor size in gtk app (using a tiling wm outside gnome)

Gtk app such as Firefox does not seem to care about cursor settings written in .Xdefaults file (name and size). There is a workaround which is to create in ~/.icons a directory called "default" and a file called "index.theme". This is already explained in the arch wiki (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/X11_Cursors)

This seems already kind of ugly but it gets worse. There is no way to specify the size of the cursor ... Some xcursor themes provide files for different size of xcursor but other apparently don't. So if like me you  wish to use a theme in the latter category (eg: "whiteglass"), you end up with a big cursor.

Of course if you use Gnome, you can just use the theme ui to set the size of the cursor. But I rather would like not to run any gnome daemon at this stage.

Is there any way to get the "whiteglass" xcursor with the size specified in .Xdefaults for gkt app such as Firefox ? This is what I have outside gkt app so I don't see why gtk apps needs to use an alternative mecanism. Is there a way to force such app to use the settings defined in .Xdefault ?

For info this is my .Xdefault:
Xcursor*theme: whiteglass
Xcursor.size: 16

In the wiki I can only find this sentence :
"you can optionally add this line to ~/.Xdefaults if your cursor theme supports multiple sizes"

Unfortunately this does not seem to be the case for much of the themes with the value "16".

Thanks so much for any help.

Board footer