You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-14 14:29:03

oni5115

Pulse Audio Broken?

I seem to be having some trouble with Pulse Audio.  I first noticed my tray icon wasn't loading after updating everything last night.  So I tried manually running the volume control and here is what I am getting:

"padevchooser: error while loading shared libraries: libcap.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
"pavucontrol: error while loading shared libraries: libcap.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Anyidea what is causing this, or how to fix it?

#2 2009-04-14 17:01:52

baskin

Re: Pulse Audio Broken?

I have exactly the same problem. I have pulseaudio running on boot and I'm getting this:

"/usr/bin/pulseaudio: error while loading shared libraries: libcap.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

#3 2009-04-14 18:28:17

Wilco

I don't have pulseaudio but it seems pretty obvious: install the package that provides libcap (probably also called libcap).

There is a similar problem in pacman right now with samba:

/usr/sbin/smbd: error while loading shared libraries: libavahi-client.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The fix is simple, just install avahi. Actually, wait pacman should do that...

#4 2009-04-14 18:38:56

Nepherte

oni5115 wrote:

I seem to be having some trouble with Pulse Audio.  I first noticed my tray icon wasn't loading after updating everything last night.  So I tried manually running the volume control and here is what I am getting:

"padevchooser: error while loading shared libraries: libcap.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
"pavucontrol: error while loading shared libraries: libcap.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

You have to rebuild pulseaudio against the recently updated libcap.

#5 2009-04-15 13:18:30

chochem
Website

I don't mean to derail the thread but I'm having a somewhat minor issue with the recent update(s): Everything works, I just have to mute and then unmute the output device in pavucontrol everytime I start up the pc. Anyonet is a minor else seeing this and/or know how to combat it - it is in the realm of minor annoyance but I'd still like it to go away....

#6 2009-04-15 15:06:12

toffyrn

Last pulseaudio update should have fix this issue.

chochem:
As far as i know muting and unmuting are done in alsa. (At least i have done it this way)
read the wiki-entry about alsa: (This part i think should do the trick)

Restore ALSA Mixer settings at startup

* Run 'alsactl' once to create '/etc/asound.state'

alsactl store

* Edit '/etc/rc.conf' and add 'alsa' to the list of daemons to start on boot-up. This will store the mixer settings on every shutdown and restore them when you boot.

* If the mixer settings are not loaded on boot-up, add the following line to '/etc/rc.local'

alsactl restore

#7 2009-04-16 03:28:07

Knute

oni5115 wrote:

Yes.

libcap.so.1 went to libcap.so.2

(it was in the libcap package with 2 instead of 1)

There are a couple of options that I could think of, even though one isn't really a best practice.

Other than patiently waiting for the packages to be updated (though a system wide update might fix it), you would link so.1 to so.2.   But a system wide update would be a better option.

HTH

Knute

#8 2009-04-16 04:06:59

Allan
Pacman
Website

Knute wrote:

Other than patiently waiting for the packages to be updated (though a system wide update might fix it), you would link so.1 to so.2.

Never a good idea....   better to rebuild the package yourself using ABS.

Board footer