You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-15 07:36:06

kapz
Website

[SOLVED]Problems with HAL and X and KDE!

Hi all,

I used to work on root(even though I had created another user)...then from forums I came to know that its a bad practise so I switched over to normal-user profile again, but  now facing issues with storage.

Problem:
1>I cannot access my NTFS partition where my music is stored hence no music player can access it.
2>I cannot download files and save them from any web browser..it just abandons it!

I have not mounted any NTFS partitions through fstab because hal mounts them for me.

Now when I tried to access them it says - 'could not enter folder /media/Mus!c.'

I tried forums in arch and tried to add myself in storage group, power group(hal wiki reference), I even created some file in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/20-ntfs-config-write-policy.fdi and it contains the following code in it:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
    <device>
        <match key="volume.fstype" string="ntfs">
            <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.hotpluggable" bool="true">
                <merge key="volume.fstype" type="string">ntfs-3g</merge>
                <merge key="volume.policy.mount_filesystem" type="string">ntfs-3g</merge>
            </match>
        </match>
    </device>
</deviceinfo>

I tried rebooting, restarting hal but to no avail, now A NEW PROBLEM HAS ARISED ALL OF A SUDDEN FROM NOWHERE... the CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE wont kill x!!

Any help is deeply appreciated. smile

And oh I also copy/pasted the following code from hal archwiki page in File: /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf

CODE:

<policy group="power">
   <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement"/>
   <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.LaptopPanel"/>
</policy>

<policy group="storage">
   <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume"/>
   <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.Crypto"/>
</policy>

Last edited by kapz (2009-05-09 19:37:06)

I wonder how it would be like to use the rest 99% of my brain..:P

Registered Linux User: 487155

#2 2009-04-15 08:06:16

CaptainShanks

Re: [SOLVED]Problems with HAL and X and KDE!

First of all, it was probably a wise idea not to use root any more big_smile

Second of all, is ntfs-3g installed? You need that to mount NTFS partitions of any kind.

As for Ctrl+Alt+Backspace not working, add this to /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option   "DontZap"    "False"
EndSection

Ctrl+Alt+Backspace is now disabled in Xorg by default. Bothers the crap out of me XD

#3 2009-04-15 10:29:17

Toffeeapple
Website

CaptainShanks wrote:

Ctrl+Alt+Backspace is now disabled in Xorg by default. Bothers the crap out of me XD

thanx for that, it was bugging me too : )

#4 2009-04-15 19:07:18

kapz
Website

Hi there, thanks a lot the code does work to killx...but now I cant switch between consoles by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1/F2/F3/F4/F5/F6!

Also I bummed out big time now...big time!! I mean I start my PC and I get to work on it after 5 minutes due to that damn akonadi...then in user mode I cant access my NTFS drives(yes I have ntfs-3g installed, but I havent mounted any drives as HAL does it)...then again all of a sudden the knetworkmanager wont start automatically in normal user mode...I think I was better off with root account....

#5 2009-04-15 19:38:38

perbh

he he - I do the same as you, always have a window with a couple of xterms as root, but ....
I am exceedingly careful with file permissions!!
If you are used to working as root - probably a lot of your personal files will have '-rw--r--r' - ie only owner (root) has write access. They might even be '-rw------', in which case you have a major job doing chown/chmod on your personal files!!

#6 2009-04-15 21:13:48

kapz
Website

Problem Solved!!! smile Just modified the PolicyKit.conf file and all cool 8)..found code in arch forums-finally which worked for me!

Now anyone gimme a pointer for changing virtual consoles...

Board footer