You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-15 08:53:06

carick

New ATI (Mobility x1600)

Not really about laptops but didnt know where to put this.
Is the Mobility x1600 card supported by the new proprietary driver, i assume it is, but i have been having trouble getting it to work.
I recently (as in a couple of hours ago) reinstalled arch - i know i don't need to, but i like setting it up and learning more everytime and the idea of having a "clean" system without any bloat that gets added as i mess around. Anyway, i am having trouble getting my graphics working properly. I skipped over using the opensource driver because last time it didnt support the 1920x1200 resolution my external monitor has and installed catalyst using yaourt. it worked, but then when i ran

# aticonfig --help

i got output along the lines of no supported adapters detected. Awesome hmm . So then i went to the open source driver and i think i got that installed, just did the pacman command on the wiki and was able to startx at a horrible res (my laptop screen is 1680x1050), this is without an xorg.conf and using hal. Alright, so maybe i need to add the lines to xorg.conf, so i created it and put the lines in from the wiki --> no difference. I tried xorg -configure and when i ran X -config xorg.conf.new (as it said to try the config file) i get a blank screen and no way to get back to CLI. I distinctly remember that last time (with the catalyst driver) the screen resolution automatically configured to the proper one, 1680x1050 when using laptop screen and 1920x1200 when using the external monitor.

when i try

# hwd -xa

it tells me that ther is no Xserver installed, with a couple of exclamation points.

I am lost and any help will be appreciated

Board footer