You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-16 13:17:50

K0tuk

Best software for adding subtitles

Hi!

I have been wondering, what software you use for adding subtitles to video? In my previous Linux distro ( Linux Mint 6 ) i tried avidemux ( haven`t tried it on Arch yet ) and some other programs, but it couldn`t open any of my .avi files.

Ofcouse, i can watch movies on my laptop, but i really like to do it on my TV screen.

P.S. I`m talking about adding ( or should i say, burning? ) subs to DVD Rips, not DVDs.

#2 2009-04-16 13:21:23

Rasi
Website

Re: Best software for adding subtitles

mkvtoolnix, then start the gui with "mmg"

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#3 2009-04-16 13:26:03

hokasch

#4 2009-04-16 14:41:51

carlocci

you have to change the file container from avi to something better (I suggest mkv) if you want to embed a subtitle stream because avi doesn't support it.
If you are talking about rendering the subtitles directly on the videotrack (the so called hardsubbing), you have to compress the video again which decrease quality and is time consuming as well. You can use avidemux for that.

FYI many, if not all, divx players are able to render simple srt subtitles: you just have to put the srt file with the same name of the video file in the same directory.
eg
My_first_subtitled_movie.avi
My_first_subtitled_movie.srt

#5 2009-04-17 06:04:15

K0tuk

Yes, i was talking about hardsubbing. I`ll try avidemux tomorrow.

carlocci wrote:

FYI many, if not all, divx players are able to render simple srt subtitles: you just have to put the srt file with the same name of the video file in the same directory.
eg
My_first_subtitled_movie.avi
My_first_subtitled_movie.srt

Wow, never knew that! I guess i`ll have to check out your theory smile

Board footer