You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-16 16:14:10

neuwerld
Website

Can´t use ÅÄÖ in filenaming and in urxvt [SOLVED]

I´m getting nutts, I searched the net on how to get it to work but haven´t found a solution.
In Nautilus I can´t change a file or folder to a name with ÅÄÖ in the name, when i try it just prints me that it´s not valid.
And in urxvt I can´t type ÅÄÖ either, nothing happens when I press the keys.
It works fine when writing in documents and so on but not in filenames and urxvt.

Here is some of my configed files...

rc.conf

LOCALE="sv_SE.utf8"
HARDWARECLOCK="localtime"
USEDIRECTISA="no"
TIMEZONE="Europe/Stockholm"
KEYMAP="sv-latin1"
CONSOLEFONT=
CONSOLEMAP=
USECOLOR="yes"

fstab

/dev/sda3            /mnt/sda3  ntfs-3g defaults,user,locale=sv_SE.utf8 0 0

In locale.gen both "sv_SE.UTF-8 UTF-8" and "sv_SE ISO-8859-1" is uncommented.

Would really appreciate some help here smile

Last edited by neuwerld (2009-04-17 18:25:11)

#2 2009-04-16 17:23:01

rine

Re: Can´t use ÅÄÖ in filenaming and in urxvt [SOLVED]

I can't really help you (sorry), but you might consider not using special characters in filenames (that includes spaces and dashs). That's really bad practice.

#3 2009-04-16 18:30:04

PJ

Is it possible to use ÅÄÖ in the virtual console? It could be a problem with the keyboard layout for X, if that is the problem you might find this wiki article useful: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … otplugging
The parts that might be useful in the wiki article are: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … figuration or http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … _it_off.3F (the last one in case you have the keyboard layout specified in xorg.conf)

I have change the following in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-keyboard.fdi to get swedish layout in X:

<merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">se</merge>

#4 2009-04-17 14:56:07

neuwerld
Website

Thanks for the tips!
I will look at the links as soon as I can!

#5 2009-04-17 15:00:32

neuwerld
Website

Now that I have configured it some I get this error message when I try naming file:

Cannot convert filename "åäö" to the local encoding.

Invalid byte sequence in conversion input.

Any idea?
Should I add sv_SE.utf8 to the fstab options on the partitions?

#6 2009-04-17 15:48:15

skottish
Forum Fellow

PJ wrote:

Is it possible to use ÅÄÖ in the virtual console?

I'm not sure if this comment is helpful. My system is set up for English only, but urxvt on my computer can in fact display those characters using DejaVu Sans Mono.

#7 2009-04-17 16:11:21

Maxa

1) Try "setxkbmap se", after xorg-server 1.6 and/or evdev 2.2.1 update I have to use setxkbmap with X, "fi" layout in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-keymap.fdi doesn't seem to work

2) Start urxvt from another urxvt, and if you see something like

urxvt: the locale is not supported by Xlib, working without locale support.

try starting with LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8" urxvt and see if it works; of course you would need that locale. I personally specify LC_CTYPE in ~/.profile.

I used option 2) with success before, but now I use 1) since 2) doesn't seem to be enough.
In ttys I get "åäö" with "altgr+åäö", without altgr it's "}{|" respectively. Haven't really looked into it, since i don't use them

Also, ntfs doesn't need locale option anymore http://www.ntfs-3g.org/releases.html

Change: The 'locale=' mount option is not used anymore for filename characterset conversion. Instead filenames are always converted to UTF-8.

#8 2009-04-17 17:10:12

PJ

skottish wrote:

I'm not sure if this comment is helpful. My system is set up for English only, but urxvt on my computer can in fact display those characters using DejaVu Sans Mono.

Actually, I was more referring to enter, as in pressing those keys on the keyboard and seeing the same characters on the screen. I should have been a bit more clear with that.

#9 2009-04-17 18:24:54

neuwerld
Website

Haha I tried just for fun to change locale in rc.conf from sv_SE.utf8 to en_US.utf8 and that solved all my problems.
Now I can name folders with åäö characters and type åäö in console and everything, kinda irritating that it was so easy to fix when I have tried so many different things smile

But thanks for all the help thou! Really nice of you to bother me tongue

/Neuwerld

Board footer