You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-16 21:27:32

syll

[services] Dependencies between services

Hello

I installed boinc and it is launched at startup (with daemons : @boinc).
Boinc starts fine, but can't acces the Internet. If I restart boinc after my login, it works.

I think "network" daemon, launched with @network, isn't ready when boinc starts (error messages in boinc are talking bout network) and boinc can make calculations but not connect to the network.

Is it possible to define dependencies between services in Arch (it exists in Gentoo I think). I would like writing : "start boinc, but only when network is ready" (I don't want to wait for the network to start, only boinc should be waiting).

Thank you

Syll

#2 2009-04-17 01:39:42

normman

Re: [services] Dependencies between services

I don't know of any way to do that, but you should have a look at this thread:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=69523
where someone had a similar issue.  Also, why is this under artwork and screenshots?

#3 2009-04-17 05:56:36

ao

Yeah, this thread probably needs to be moved elsewhere.

But, on-topic, check out /etc/rc.d/hal, it starts dbus if it's not started (and maybe acpid too), so your in DAEMONS you can use @hal and both dbus and hal (and acpid) will start in order, backgrounded.

#4 2009-04-17 07:37:22

tomk
Forum Fellow

Topic moved.

There is no formal structure for service dependencies in Arch. Users are expected to work it out for themselves, In this particular case, I'd suggest writing a customised boinc init script that incorporates the required network commands, as per the hal/dbus example given above.

Board footer