You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-17 18:07:34

elgatofelix

Arch on Compaq Presario CQ-320LA doesn't boot

Hi, recently i got a new compaq presario CQ-320LA, pretty looking machine and doesnt get too hot
but sadly i cant boot the "CORE DUMP" release iso on it getting this freeze (no error, no panic, just freeze)

here is the snapshot of the the freeze
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/7475/imagen048i.jpg

Looking at the point where loding freezes i traced the same kernel on my desktop pc and i supposed it is
calibrating the proccesor (the part where it displays the BogoMips of processor) so i tried supplying the kernel
with the mips detected with the 2.6.20 kernel with this parameter lpj=n ( Sets loops_per_jiffy to given constant, t)
but even it gets just 3 o 4 more printk kernel-messages to reach the freeze again;

on the other side i could boot and install arch DUKE iso with a 2.6.21 kernel. And from the installed system i tried to update to the
core dump kernel in the iso... so everything installs fine, the initrd generation too but when i try to boot with the 2.6.24 kernel
the same freeze

I've tried all the tips in the wiki (line kernel params acpi=off .. ) but nothing
I also tried checkng the dmesg output of sane system and i cant see anything suspicious. Just the clasic hardware detection and a ton of
ata driver errors saying the disc is resetting itself but in the end the SATA disc gets loaded with no problems
I've tried all other distros with same results (all of them dated  to 2008 too)

So now i have a duke arch on laptop with a kernel linux 26.21 and xorg with embarassing sad 800x600 vesa resolution and
it worrks fine but  to use the catalyst or the radeonhd xorg driver i need
at least a 2.6.25 kernel (the one in the CORE DUMP iso). The problem is that i dont have a network conection available, just my old, undated
but trusty archlinux reposiitory last syncd on june of the last year. I use the same packages (in a custom made dvd) on the desktop pc and everythin ok

Anyways, if someone does what could be the thing that freezes the load , please help me

The laptop specs are:

AMD Sempron™ para PC notebooks SI-42
Gráficos ATI Radeon™ HD 3200
SATA drive ( a SAMSUNG 160gb)
and 1g MB

Are u listening?

#2 2009-04-21 15:10:48

elgatofelix

Re: Arch on Compaq Presario CQ-320LA doesn't boot

does anyone uses presario anyway ?

Are u listening?

Board footer