You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-17 20:12:46

virtualu2

Installing tonight - Dell D830 - Intel Integrated Video/Dell Wireless

Hi,
I am going to install tonight and I am "ok" with linux.  I am tired of all the "one in all solutions", especially when they never work as intended..

I wanted to ask about a couple items, and I have the guide all printed out to go.

1.  It appears my video will be fine from what I have read, does anyone have any advice in terms of how to configure xorg.conf and at what point I add in my graphical choice?
2.  Is KDEMOD the best option for arch?  It looks good, I tried to install Chakra today but the disk kept failing on the partitioning so I am not sure what was going on.
3.  Wireless - it looks like I need the fwcutter firmware and have to update the drivers.  I would like to use wireless as quickly as possible after my install.  Is there a way to get that going asap or only until I have it installed and onine?

Any other "gotcha's" about installing?

THX!!!:D

#2 2009-04-17 22:35:06

sokuban

Re: Installing tonight - Dell D830 - Intel Integrated Video/Dell Wireless

1) I have no clue what you read that makes you think your video would be fine, maybe stuff from last year. If you have any problems with graphics at all, try the xf86-video-intel-legacy drivers instead of the normal ones. The normal ones are plagued with problems.

2) There is no "best option" for Arch. Unlike some other distros Arch is not designed for only a certain DE. Use whichever one you prefer the most. I have no experiance with KDE, but I hear lots of KDE users recommending KDEMOD, so if you like KDE you should try it.

#3 2009-04-17 23:11:19

Killa B
Website

1.) My advice: don't bother with xf86-video-intel, go straight for xf86-video-intel-legacy. The new one just isn't worth the hassle. Plus, I've actually read that xf86-video-intel-legacy is faster (I don't know if this is true or not, though).

2.) The best choice is whatever works best for you. You should be able to find plenty of debates on which DE is the best. Usually the arguments are KDE vs. GNOME, but Xfce often comes into the mix, and occasionally you might see mention of Enlightenment. LXDE is also worth checking out.

Anyway, if you think KDEMOD might be what you want, go ahead and try it out! It's easy enough to replace if you decide you don't like it. When people ask me what DE to use, I usually recommend Xfce.

3.) I'm sorry, I can't help you there. I run Arch on my desktop, so I don't use wireless. I'm not even sure what you're asking, though. neutral

Any other "gotcha's" about installing?

I recommend having another computer available while you're installing, in case you're not sure what to do next, and need to ask or something.

Good luck, and welcome to the community. tongue

#4 2009-04-17 23:41:45

milomouse
Website

With the install process I didn't do anything special, just follow the steps and everything worked just fine for me, as it can all be edited later in console if need be. I used FTP/HTTP option for most recent packages. Also, get the list of Unofficial User Respositories from the Arch wiki. Put desired links in pacman.conf and update the database. pacman -Syu.  Then install Yaourt from archlinuxfr. It's a good install utility for using the AUR database of unsupported / community packages, which are often very nice and not found in the default repos.

But the first thing I did after the install was to open a new console screen with Alt + F2 and install:  links-g, so I could view all the wiki pages from Arch without having to print everything out, as there can be quite a bit, and without having to download any GUI yet as I hadn't configured everything yet. The Beginner's Guide is a good wiki page.

EDIT: Anyway, sorry for sounding so jumbled but there's really not much to it. Oh, yeah, if you do have another computer available there is this good video for installing Arch to your system and which packages to select for wireless setup. http://www.archux.com/page/arch-linux-v … tion-guide

Last edited by milomouse (2009-04-18 00:28:19)

Board footer