You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-26 01:33:00

hyp0luxa

possible optimization of packages

i don't know if it's appropriate to post this here, as it's from another distro's forum, but here goes:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php? … ht=ldflags

this is very interesting. i am recompiling firefox with this optimization now, and will update this post with my results.

Note: in the first post in the above thread, it mentions that another binary distro uses this optimization for all of their packages, and it's response is "very snappy". if this is indeed the case, i think that it should be considered for all of arch's packages. i googled around for this flag, and didn't find anything negative.

#2 2004-09-26 01:52:13

punkrockguy318
Website

Re: possible optimization of packages

Very cool... I added it to my makepkg.conf and I'll srcpac a couple packages and see how it works...

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#3 2004-09-26 02:10:31

hyp0luxa

well, firefox definitely loads about 2 seconds faster. i'll be checking other apps over the next week. i might even recompile kde. i read that gnome and fluxbox see significant improvement with this as well.

#4 2004-09-27 15:18:49

sarah31
Website

so you are suggesting that arch decrease the optimization flags they use? My understanding is that -O1 contains a shiorter set of instructions than -O2.

now people see why i always try and reinforce that more optimization does not always equal speed.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2004-09-27 15:22:39

hyp0luxa

no, -O1 / -O2 are compiler optimizations

-Wl,-01 is a linker optimization. the -Wl tells gcc to pass the flag to the linker.

#6 2004-09-27 15:31:29

sarah31
Website

ah

well feature request it through the bugtracker then. just don't expect tghe majority of packages to have this feature for some time though.

you should also find out if there are snafus at all with this optimization. for example glibc does not benefit from high or any optimization. kde used to have issues with compiler flags such as -O3.

alot of people have many optimizations that they benefit from but using them universally for a distro may not be advantageous. also i think of that -fomit-frame-pointer has been requested before but has never been added.

i am not saying don't request it but be sure that it is something that can be used universally.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer