You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-18 17:18:59

deadlylife

ctrl+alt+backspace does not kill X

I ran

# nvidia-xconfig --logo-path=

to set the logo that X starts with, but now I cannot kill X with the normal ctrl+alt+backspace.

#2 2009-04-18 17:28:20

deadlylife

Re: ctrl+alt+backspace does not kill X

Checked the Wiki, fixed.

#3 2009-04-18 19:01:53

SomeGuyDude

Can we make this a sticky in the forums? I think most people are going to interpret the change post-update as a bug, not as an alteration in functionality and thus will come here before going to the wiki.

And in the midst of such perfection,
I can't help but feel diseased.

#4 2009-04-18 19:04:00

uastasi

I readed somewhere you have to edit your xorg.conf
adding

'Option "DontZap" "false"

to the ServerFlags section

Till the last battle, till the last bottle.
aur - twitter

#5 2009-04-18 19:08:06

skottish
Forum Fellow

SomeGuyDude wrote:

Can we make this a sticky in the forums? I think most people are going to interpret the change post-update as a bug, not as an alteration in functionality and thus will come here before going to the wiki.

If this were an Arch related problem, I would agree with this idea. But, it's already in the wiki:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … 27t_exit_X

and it's been brought up a bunch of times in the forums. A quick search either place would have yielded the answer.

#6 2009-04-18 19:56:21

b9anders

in other words... rtfw.

#7 2009-04-18 20:12:07

SomeGuyDude

My point is when something breaks, I don't think people go to the wiki first. If it's a hard time getting something SET UP, then the wiki's where folks go because the implied problem is on the user's end. But when something works, and then doesn't post-update, people aren't going to assume it's because the functionality of the package changed and then check what the new system is. It's not like the wiki is jam-packed with solutions to every little error that every package occasionally produces.

Seems to me like when something like this happens (i.e. an update involves a huge change in how something works that requires re-writing config files), a simple sticky on the update forum would save everyone a lot of time.

And in the midst of such perfection,
I can't help but feel diseased.

#8 2009-04-18 20:17:31

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

The point of users never reading stickies is just as valid wink. It is a good suggestion, but it will get lost in the myriad of stickies anyway - stickies that, by experience, everyone overlooks.

Those who know where to look (and search) will find it - stickied or not. As said: there's coverage in the Arch wiki, on the BBS, and even on the world wide web.

If you have SysRq enabled, you can always do AltGr + SysRq + K to restart X if needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

We're not stickying it, the information is all over the place. There's no point in discussing this.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer