You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-19 04:21:31

neilward

Sakura IPA keybindings

I am trying to figure out how to enter IPA (international phonetic alphabet) in Lilypond. I would usually use LaTeX for IPA, but if I understand Lilypond syntax correctly, I would need to enter IPA in plain text form.

Enter Sakura: Sakura has IPA as an optional input method. Some things like ɛ, ɑ, ɪ, & æ are intuitive. Yet I can't even figure out how to make a schwa. There is no Man page.
Because there is no documentation, I assume that the keybindings are standard elsewhere.

If this is not the best way to go about this, I am enthusiastically open to suggestion.
I currently use fluxbox and have set up my menu to allow me to switch between Cyrillic and US Qwerty, it seems like I should be able to do something like that with an IPA keyboard, but I haven't figured out how.

Please note that I have no interest in entering IPA via drop-down menus or cutting & pasting.

Thank you.

#2 2009-04-21 10:35:12

toad
Website

Re: Sakura IPA keybindings

I'm interested in this also. You may find this helpful...

http://ipa4linguists.pbwiki.com/Linux-IPA:-Main-page

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#3 2009-04-25 15:06:28

neilward

Thanks for the link, (I already had it bookmarked, but I had completely forgotten about it). I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I am now looking into building my own keyboard map. I found a nice reference on this site:

http://people.uleth.ca/~daniel.odonnell … n-linuxx11

I would still like a reference for the key combinations in sakura.

#4 2009-04-30 05:53:37

pnorcks

neilward wrote:

I am trying to figure out how to enter IPA (international phonetic alphabet) in Lilypond. I would usually use LaTeX for IPA, but if I understand Lilypond syntax correctly, I would need to enter IPA in plain text form.

If your LY file is saved with UTF-8 encoding, LilyPond supports direct input of these symbols.  In the past, UTF-8 characters that were not part of ASCII had to be escaped.  I believe this syntax is still supported, but it's just more cumbersome.

I just tested a simple file (below) with random IPA symbols, and it compiled just fine.

\version "2.12.2"

\markup {
  ɑɐɒæɚʤ
}

#5 2009-04-30 12:40:22

neilward

Thanks, pnorcks. That's good to know.

Board footer