You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-19 04:34:23

Schneibster

[SOLVED] Upgrade = corrupted graphics

I found the instructions for updating xorg individually before completing the pacman -Syu update and followed them. Everything seemed fine, the new kernel initrd build went fine, so I rebooted, now it boots up and I get a corrupt screen. Setting init 3 on the kernel line does not help; I still get the corrupt screen, and as far as I can tell it's still starting X. I have no unusual packages at all. Plain vanilla Arch installation. Cntl-Alt-F1, Cntl-Alt-Bksp, nothing gets me out of this. I'm using NetworkManager so I have no networking until I log in to X, so I can't access the system from outside.

I tried downloading the ISO for the latest kernel and it won't mount the CORE packages, so I can't install from it. I'll probably check what I downloaded and waste some more DVDs. Sigh. I can't see any other way out of this.

I can only assume that either X or the 945GM graphics drivers are hosed. Of course, it could be the initrd or the kernel, but since the problem is graphics that isn't where I'd go first.

Gateway MP8708, Intel 945GM graphics.

Worth noting that I did the same update a few days ago (Tuesday 14APR09) on a Dell desktop without any trouble, other than the same requirement to update xorg individually first.

UPDATE: I booted from CD, mounted root, and moved xorg.conf aside (renamed it so X won't find it) and it seems to be OK. Except NetworkManager won't connect.

UPDATE2: Still trouble with wireless networking, but that's a separate problem. Touchpad, keyboard, and Compiz work fine, and I'm not a gamer so I'll mark this SOLVED so others with this problem using the 945GM/GMS can use this. Be aware that top graphics performance may require further tweaking, but this will at least let you log in so you can mess with it.

Exact instructions:
1. Boot from any Arch CD
2. Mount your root partition to /mnt
3. Go to /mnt/etc/X11
4. Rename xorg.conf to something else (or delete it, if you're brave)
5. cd back to the home directory
6. Unmount your root partition
7. Remove the CD during reboot so you boot from your hard drive

Last edited by Schneibster (2009-04-19 18:26:44)

#2 2009-04-19 07:29:27

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Upgrade = corrupted graphics

Try the xf86-video-intel-legacy drivers.  It now probably works without the xorg.conf because it use the vesa drivers by default. You'll probably get better performance with the xf86-video-intel-legacy drivers.

#3 2009-04-19 18:38:13

Schneibster

Thanks, snowman, but based on the Xorg.0.log, it's unloading vesa and using the Intel driver, and the messages indicate it's supporting my chipset. I think I'm good, and I'm generally pleased not to have to mess with an xorg.conf. Once I get networking going, I'll test some movies, I'm not a gamer so absolute tiptop performance isn't a priority. glxgears shows around 200fps, and looks smooth; going to the window-wall while it's running reduces to 150fps. That's good enough for me. If I have trouble with movies I'll update this thread, otherwise no news is good news.

#4 2009-04-19 19:35:34

Schneibster

Snowman, you were right, after a bit I noticed X leaking, and window-wall performance was nasty. Movies were choppy. I went with the legacy driver set, and everything looks pretty good. My one remaining whine is that touchpad scrolling isn't working. I'll poke around and see if I can get a fix for that.

#5 2009-04-19 20:01:31

Schneibster

Correct fix for synaptics scrolling, get  /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/11-x11-synaptics.fdi, put it in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/, edit it up (it's XML, the scrolling options are among those that are commented in the Examples), and restart hald from /etc/rc.d/hal.

More information is available on the Wiki in the hotplugging article.

Board footer