You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-20 10:20:31

new2arch

Arch mirror to new drive [solved]

Hi guys, a newbie question here.

I wish move my current arch installation to a brand new drive using Clonezilla but the operation wasn't 100% successful. The mirroring operation from the old drive to the new one didn't give me any problems but I cannot boot into the new system. Grub lets me choose operating system (Arch or centos) but shortly after it gets stuck, throwing errors like: "failed to parse block device name for /dev/sda1".

I've tried editing my menu.lst by mounting the partition via Arch live-cd (but I don't really see why I have to change anything at all). The menu.lst file looks exactly the same as my old/current Arch's ditto. I also tried changing the UUID in root=/dev/uuid etc into root=/dev/sda1 but no joy. A desperate and probably long shot solution (at least in my mind!) was to generate a new mkinitcpio but that failed too saying it cannot find /boot/grub/kernel26 etc.

Did I miss something?

The reason for me wanting to move my Arch installation is that my Seagate is way too loud. The new drive is from Samsung. Same size. Supposedly quieter. smile

Any ideas?

Edit: the mkinitcpio is untouched, it's supposed to find all pata, scsi, sata etc.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by new2arch (2009-04-20 17:33:57)

#2 2009-04-20 11:04:30

dobedo

Re: Arch mirror to new drive [solved]

Something helpfull in this thread?  http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=64027

Last edited by dobedo (2009-04-20 11:05:30)

#3 2009-04-20 11:11:15

new2arch

dobedo wrote:

Something helpfull in this thread?  http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=64027

Thanks for the tip. Will give it a try when I get back home today.
Possibly the mkinitcpio command didn't work as it should since I couldn't chroot into the new drive's partition for some reason (following the Arch Wiki, how to chroot). But I have to give it another shot checking out Blazercist's how-to.

"Anyhow this is basically what needs to be done to correct the problem.

1. Boot ArchLive
2. mkdir /media/disk
3. mount /dev/sdxX /media/disk
4. chroot /media/disk
5. mkinitcpio -k 2.6.28-ARCH -g /boot/kernel26.img
6. nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
7. Replace any references to UUID with /dev/sdxX (where xX represents your drive and partition) instead, save and exit nano.
8. reboot

Make sure and pay attention to the output of the mkinitcpio command in my step 5. If there are any errors relating to one or more of the hooks you'll need to edit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and remove the hook it complains about !!IF POSSIBLE!!.  I for example had some problem with the autodetect hook which caused my regular kernel to fail to create an image.

If mkinicpio doesn't complain and tells you it SUCCEEDED generating the images then you should be good to go."

Last edited by new2arch (2009-04-20 11:12:05)

#4 2009-04-20 17:33:33

new2arch

Hm. The booting goes without a hitch when I installed the harddrive on my main system!

Chrooting was not needed and I could use the UUID from my old harddrive.  (I couldn't actually chroot, it giving me a "/bin/bash not found" message.

Board footer