You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-21 01:46:50

Joe_Arch

I think I partially fried my computer[SOLVED]

Last night I was watching some streaming video on my laptop and it suddenly shutoff on it's own. I felt around the exhaust vents and it was quite hot. I figured it had overheated so I decided to call it a night.

This morning I start up awesome and I'm missing 2 things: wireless and a touchpad. The mouse is sitting there in the middle of the screen, but the touchpad doesn't work. I checked my xorg.conf... hasn't changed from the one that worked yesterday. I switched to an old xorg.conf in case using generic drivers fixes the problem... no luck.

But a mouse I can live without. The major problem is the lack of wireless. sudo ifconfig wlan0 up now says "unkown interface: no such device". Hwd detects that I have a broadcom card but it doesn't list a module. I went through the whole b43-fwcutter dance, but that didn't help.

I'm also missing my ethernet interface. Just noticed that.

My xorg.0.log mentions a few relevant things:

"SynapticsTouchpad The /dev/input/event* device nodes seem to be missing"
"Query no Synaptics: 60003CB"
"SynapticsTouchpad: no supported touchpad found"

netcfg tells me this:
"/etc/rc.conf: line 92: syntax error: unexpected end of file"

(except rc.conf doesn't end there. I checked, it's the same file as always"

"Interface wlan0 is not a wireless interface"

A few other weird things:

My hostname doesn't show up now. Instead of "Archbox login:" it says "(none) login:"

It's almost as if my computer can't find the rc.conf..... weird stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on? Is it even possible for an overheated computer to have these weird, specific problems? Is this a hardware malfunction?

Last edited by Joe_Arch (2009-04-22 01:03:12)

#2 2009-04-21 01:48:16

CaptainShanks

Re: I think I partially fried my computer[SOLVED]

Hm... Try throwing in a LiveCD of some sort, you may just have a borked Arch installation.

#3 2009-04-22 01:02:54

Joe_Arch

Re: I think I partially fried my computer[SOLVED]

Damn overheating totally led me down a false path. Your livecd gave me the idea -- I had wlan0 back in my Arch live-cd so I took a step back and thought about what was going on.

It was totally the rc.conf: I had changed my timezone and accidentally threw in an extra quotation mark. Threw off the whole file, so my daemons/modules weren't loading properly.

Should havee paid more attention to those "Unexpected End of File" errors =/

Board footer