You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-21 03:01:04

edubarr

[SOLVED*]Issues with tty*

I'm having some issues accessing the serial ports in /dev/tty*. I do some programming with serial ports (more specifically serial-over-USB) and everything always worked fine until I did an update today, I was always able to read and write from the serial ports (was part of the uucp group), but now it doesn't work. ls -l /dev/tty* shows root:root for ownership and I still can't open the ports even if I chown -R root:uucp tty*. I also tried running the code as root, but I still couldn't open any serial ports - so it makes me think that it's not a simple permissions issue.

I've checked the udev default rules and they are properly set (uucp owns tty*) but something is not following them. I found some threads on the forums about a similar issue using bluetooth serial ports that were fixed by using ck-launch-session. Unfortunatelly it didn't work for me.

I really don't know what caused the issue, and I cleaned the pacman cache before updating so I can't revert to the older kernel and hal to test it out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit:
I probably messed up some config file somewhere, everything works like it should after a re-install.

Last edited by edubarr (2009-04-21 22:44:09)

#2 2009-04-21 18:28:32

intellitech
Website

Re: [SOLVED*]Issues with tty*

Are you in the tty user group?

With regards,
Adam Eberlin

My AUR Packages

#3 2009-04-21 20:11:34

edubarr

Re: [SOLVED*]Issues with tty*

Yes, I was part of the uucp group. I decided to backup everything and re-install to see if there was an issue with conflicting configurations and that seems to have been the case. I can access my serial ports once again, now I just need to copy all of my stuff from the backup and test if the code works fine.

Board footer