You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-21 08:09:46

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Eclipse IDE - Running 32-bit and 64-bit from same install location?

Hi all,

I'm aware that the Eclipse IDE probably goes against the K.I.S.S principles of Arch Linux, but I'm gambling that the generally higher technical proficiency here means this is a better place to ask this question than, say, ubuntuforums.org.

Anyway, I've been using the Eclipse IDE (with the CDT plugin) for my programming needs. Sorry, no emacs/vim for me. There's 32-bit and 64-bit versions, of course, but seeing as Eclipse is itself written in and runs using Java, I'd think most of the components are arch-agnostic.

I do my work on various machines, all with synchronized drives such that I don't have to change mindset moving between them. I have a 32-bit Arch install and a 64-bit Arch install both, and therefore two copies of Eclipse, with a simple bash script running either executable based on uname -m. However, this necessitates me to update both copies separately through Eclipse's update manager (I'm quite the distro/install hopper, so I keep Eclipse separate from the package management software of whichever distro/install I'm in). I'm wondering whether it would be possible for a hybrid install of eclipse 32-bit and 64-bit into the same directory, or at the very least a whole bunch of symlinks which allow both installs to 'see' all possible shared directories/files. I've already tried the most obvious method, simply changing the executable, but it crashes before launching. Any help is welcome, thanks.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2009-05-05 04:01:20

caelestis

Re: Eclipse IDE - Running 32-bit and 64-bit from same install location?

I would also like to know if I can integrate the linux version and the windows version into a minimal folder, on a USB stick to take from school to home.

Board footer