You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-22 01:29:29

jey
Member
Registered: 2009-01-01
Posts: 20

New graphics card and dual screen

Hi!
Soon I'm going to build myself a new computer, but I don't know much about graphics cards sad

Which brand nVidia or ATI would be better for dual head support? (Which board specifically even?)
I don't play games, but I do watch films. I'll be running a pair of 20"s. (probably around 1680 x 1050)

Last edited by jey (2009-04-22 01:31:17)

Offline

#2 2009-04-22 01:46:19

mikesd
Member
From: Australia
Registered: 2008-02-01
Posts: 785
Website

Re: New graphics card and dual screen

I'm running a 20" and a 22", both at 1680x1050, on a nVidia 8600 and am happy with it. I would go with nVidia at the moment. The in house nVidia driver is much better than the in house ATI one.

You have a couple of options for dual screens on nVidia. I use TwinView which makes the dispalys appear to Xorg as one large screen. This makes it easy to move windows from one display to another. 3D acceleration works on both displays. If you want you can also set them up as seperate screens.

If possible try to get a card with dual dvi outputs. This gives you a nice clear image and doesn't require setting up (image size, position) as a svga connector does. It can be handy to have the svga connectors spare on the monitor as well. Useful for hooking up an older machine temporarily or a laptop or server. Just toggle the source button. Sort of a poor mans KVM.

Last edited by mikesd (2009-04-22 01:51:02)

Offline

#3 2009-04-22 02:10:33

xaiviax
Member
From: Michigan
Registered: 2008-11-04
Posts: 282

Re: New graphics card and dual screen

completely aggree with the above response.  Also, I would add that I personally think ati's support of linux dual head with composting is terrible.

Offline

#4 2009-04-22 02:17:17

xaiviax
Member
From: Michigan
Registered: 2008-11-04
Posts: 282

Re: New graphics card and dual screen

Also, if you're watching films look for a card with vdapu capabilities

Offline

#5 2009-04-22 05:14:47

Leigh
Member
From: USA
Registered: 2004-06-25
Posts: 533

Re: New graphics card and dual screen

Running triple screens on three dirrerent cards. geforce 7900gtx and a 6800 both in pci-e slots, and a old geforce4. These cards are kind of old but I can't remember ever having any issues. I'm running nvidia 96xx driver, at least until I get around to loosing the gforce4 card. Right now I use three independent screens. I've installed arch on laptops for friends that had ati cards and always had a hard time configuring them. I think nvidia does a great job supporting/updating for linux.

I like twinview, but it always freaks me out when I open a app that insists on being maxed across all three monitors. Acts kinda funky with some apps, so I went with independent screens. I usually know which monitor I want a app to be on, so it's no big deal not being able to move things from one screen to another. If I were going to buy a new system, I would go with nvidia. but that's just me.


-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

Offline

#6 2009-04-22 06:58:25

mikesd
Member
From: Australia
Registered: 2008-02-01
Posts: 785
Website

Re: New graphics card and dual screen

Leigh wrote:

I like twinview, but it always freaks me out when I open a app that insists on being maxed across all three monitors. Acts kinda funky with some apps, so I went with independent screens. I usually know which monitor I want a app to be on, so it's no big deal not being able to move things from one screen to another. If I were going to buy a new system, I would go with nvidia. but that's just me.

The nVidia driver provides a Xinerama extension that should help in those cases. I use it and my wm, xmonad, sees the twinview screen as two seperate screens. I never see an app open across both screens. Full info here in section 13.1, second item.

Offline

#7 2009-04-22 07:31:34

rebugger
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2007-10-28
Posts: 229

Re: New graphics card and dual screen

Running Dualscreen with ATI X600 pcie - works good, but i would buy nvidia next time... better support i think

Offline

#8 2009-04-22 07:45:12

jey
Member
Registered: 2009-01-01
Posts: 20

Re: New graphics card and dual screen

With TwinView can you maximise an app to one screen? (or even full screen it, to one screen that is)

Last edited by jey (2009-04-22 07:45:48)

Offline

#9 2009-04-22 08:02:24

Leigh
Member
From: USA
Registered: 2004-06-25
Posts: 533

Re: New graphics card and dual screen

mikesd wrote:

The nVidia driver provides a Xinerama extension that should help in those cases. I use it and my wm, xmonad, sees the twinview screen as two seperate screens. I never see an app open across both screens. Full info here in section 13.1, second item.

Thanks for the very cool info!  Gotta love nvidia smile


-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

Offline

#10 2009-04-22 08:20:59

Leigh
Member
From: USA
Registered: 2004-06-25
Posts: 533

Re: New graphics card and dual screen

jey wrote:

With TwinView can you maximise an app to one screen? (or even full screen it, to one screen that is)

I'm assuming with nvidia and Xinerama extension, the answer would be yes, at least I'm hoping. Also wondering if it will let me set individual wallpapers for each screen? Will definitely be experimenting this soon.


-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

Offline

#11 2009-04-22 18:15:29

xaiviax
Member
From: Michigan
Registered: 2008-11-04
Posts: 282

Re: New graphics card and dual screen

Leigh wrote:
jey wrote:

With TwinView can you maximise an app to one screen? (or even full screen it, to one screen that is)

I'm assuming with nvidia and Xinerama extension, the answer would be yes, at least I'm hoping. Also wondering if it will let me set individual wallpapers for each screen? Will definitely be experimenting this soon.

yes to max app to one screen and yes to individual wallpapers

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB