You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-22 21:02:05

sharpie

KDM allows login, but KDE fails to load past HDD display

Hi everyone, thank you for reading.

I just installed Arch on an x86_64 system.  It worked fine, but during the install for KDE, I started first getting this after finishing downloading packages:

/sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libGLw.so.1 is empty, not checked
/sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libGLU.so is empty, not checked
/sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libGLw.so is empty, not checked
/sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libGLw.so.1.0.0 is empty, not checked
/sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1.3.070300 is empty, not checked
/sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1 is empty, not checked

I followed both the beginner's guide and the KDE guide itself in the ArchWiki, so I've downloaded all of the correct packages and my rc.conf looks like this:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond alsa hal fam kdm)

So when I reboot computer, I get the KDM screen prompting for login.  When I log in, it displays a black box with a HDD that sort of materializes and when I click on that, it goes black and reloads the KDM screen.

I'm not sure where to go from here.  I've googled the /sbin/ldconfig trouble, but it gives no pointers.

#2 2009-04-22 22:04:45

sharpie

Re: KDM allows login, but KDE fails to load past HDD display

By reinstalling Arch, I've fixed the initial problem.  I found a fellow's previous posts about a similiar problem.  That's how he did it, so I did it too.  However, with KDE I'm still having the same problem.  I can get to the screen with the HDD, but after that it crashes.

#3 2009-04-23 05:31:18

svoufff

I had a very similar problem since i upgraded to xorg to 1.6.1-1 : kdm crash after hdd icon, x restart so back to kdm etc...No way to go into kde.Funilly, fluxbox was working great
Downgrading xorg-server package to 1.6.0-3 solved this.

My video hardware is via P4M890 (onboard chip) and i use the "openchrome" driver.Maybe that's the source of the problem..

#4 2009-04-23 05:43:39

toad
Website

Strange, you didn't background any daemons... Still, I'd place hal somewhere up front, preferably behind syslog-ng. This has helped me overcome some problems in the past.

Also, when exactly did these error messages show up and what did you do about them? Oh, just got it, you reinstalled...

I just recently installed a 64 bit system with vanilla KDE and had no such troubles. Also, what do the logs say? Suppose the kdm.log is fine, what about messages.log and especially Xorg.log?

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

Board footer