You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-23 00:10:26

ctarwater

[solved] XBMC - autostart torrent program in the background?

I'm back with more xbmc questions and since 99% of the users at xbmc use *buntu and their debian startup scripts, I'm going to bug you guys.

I've finally got a dedicated htpc that boots directly to xbmc without even bothering with a WM.

Now, I'm hoping to get a torrent program (with rss functionality) to boot at startup as well as having access to some kind of gui to check up on the torrents occasionally.

I'm mostly looking at deluge since it's what I know and the wife wants some kind of gui so she can add torrents and check up on stuff too.  (Hey, we're a windows free household but not GUI free, we're not that geeky)

I've also looked a bit at rtorrent + flexrss + some webgui of some kind.

I'm not really looking to start a thread with a hundred posts saying to try: transmission, ktorrent, deluge, rtorrent, vuze, utorrent+wine, etc.  I'm more interested in finding out how to get the specific functionality out of the software.

That being said, if you can help me accomplish what I'm aiming for I don't give a damn what torrent program I'm using.

Here's what I need:
1) Torrent program must have rss functionality
2) I need a script (or the ability) to get it to boot at startup without a WM or DE
2a) I can boot a WM if needed (openbox)
3) i need it to run in the background while XBMC is fullscreen and doing it's thing
4) Prefer access to either standard gui or web gui so I can check up on the torrents occasionaly
5) Can I have a pony?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by ctarwater (2009-04-23 04:25:28)

#2 2009-04-23 00:36:15

richy

Re: [solved] XBMC - autostart torrent program in the background?

I currently use torrentflux for that. It's OK but the web UI is very 1994 and the RSS behavior isn't automatic... i.e. it doesn't automatically download torrents because they appear in the RSS feed. I'd actually like to find something better.

There are a few UI options for rTorrent, and a couple of different ways to do RSS as well. I expect there will be a really nice solution in there somewhere.

http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/wiki/UtilsList

Please let us know what you decide upon!

#3 2009-04-23 01:09:23

ctarwater

Actually I was just thinking about it and I may be overcomplicating things (like usual)

I may just change my current setup to boot directly into openbox and autostart xbmc fullscreen.
If I do that, then I can autostart my torrent program just like I would any other program in openbox.
Doing so should allow xbmc to autostart fullscreen while allowing deluge to autostart in the background.

My current setup looks like this:
- mingetty to autologin user
- .bashrc runs "startx"
- .xinitrc runs "/usr/bin/xbmc --standalone"

I'm going to try this out to see how it works:
- mingetty
- .bashrc runs "startx"
- .xinitrc runs "exec openbox-session"
- .config/openbox/autostart.sh runs "/usr/bin/xbmc --standalone &" and "(sleep 2 && deluge) &"

I'm still a bit new to openbox though, we'll see.

Thoughts?

Last edited by ctarwater (2009-04-23 01:25:53)

#4 2009-04-23 01:26:56

richy

If you like deluge you can start that without the GTK interface

If you are using deluge only as a server or without gui on that machine you can change ~/.config/deluge/ui.conf to set your default.
http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Faq# … interfaces

#5 2009-04-23 04:25:12

ctarwater

solved!

besides the setup listed in post #3 I also used the "applications" section of /home/user/.config/openbox/rc.xml to make sure that xbmc is started "above" on desktop 1 and that deluge is started "below".

Everything works exactly like I needed.  Booting into openbox only added 1-2 seconds to my boot, I can live with that.

Damn, I love how easy it is to configure arch!

Board footer