You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-24 18:34:28

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Pacman mirror handling sugestion

Today while updating my system I have noticed something that might be worth improving.
Imagine you have several regional mirrors in your pacman.conf, also imagine that the first one(s) are not reachable at the moment you try to get something with pacman or update the system.

In this case pacman will try to get the file(s) from the first mirror and fails giving an error message, then waits for a while and tries another mirror and might be able to download the file, so far so good, but if the are many files to download then on the next file pacman tries to download it will try the first mirror on the list (the one that didn't work just now) and only after some time move on to the next mirror on the list making things quite slow.

I guess that in a case like this it would make more sense that during one invocation of pacman it would not try to use mirrors that for some reason have failed during the current invocation. On the next invocation it would start with the first mirror again and only try to use other mirrors if there is any problem.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer