You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-28 09:22:46

johnisevil
Website

gnome-font-properties

I recently switched my desktop machine over to Arch after being a long time Slackware user.  After installing Gnome 2.6 I'm experiencing problems with gnome-font-properties.  It flat out won't start, it crashes every single time.  Starting it from terminal gives the following error

[john@metatron ~]$ gnome-font-properties

(gnome-font-properties:1782): GConf-CRITICAL **: file gconf-value.c: line 837 (gconf_value_get_string): assertion `value->type == GCONF_VALUE_STRING' failed

** (gnome-font-properties:1782): CRITICAL **: file fonts.c: line 824 (pango_font_description_from_string): assertion `str != NULL' failed

Any ideas?

#2 2004-09-28 14:46:01

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: gnome-font-properties

just looking at the error text will give away what's wrong:

"assertion 'str != NULL' failed" -> if this fails, it implies a string is NULL

so some string is null, let's look at the previous error:

"gconf-value.c: assertion 'value->type == GCONF_VALUE_STRING' failed" -> if this fails somethign which should be a string is not a string (meaning null most likely)

where did this error come from? gconf-value.c : most likely the gconf parsing routines.

your gnome configuration is borked.... if you messed with it by hand, try and fix it, or just get one of the configuration GUIs

#3 2004-09-28 19:11:19

johnisevil
Website

Re: gnome-font-properties

Now that I think of it, I remember what I was doing before this happened.  I was going through gconf-editor and when I was changing a few of Metacity's settings, the one setting for defining the title bar font disappeared.  So after closing then reopening gconf-editor the title bar font setting had a checkbox instead of a text input box.  Then gnome-font-properties starting crashing after that.

Board footer